Biblichor: Chapter 6

Steve's persistent curiosity lingers in the air of the cluttered office. Javier's gaze remains fixed on the paperwork scattered across his desk, his efforts to complete the last of his tasks underscored by his growing impatience.

"Ok, I've had enough. What's up with you?" Steve, his patience running thin, rolls his chair over to Javier's desk, determined to get to the bottom of his partner's enigmatic behavior.

"Nothing's wrong, Steve. Mind your own fucking business," Javier retorts, his words delivered with a hint of irritation. He strives to focus on finishing the remaining paperwork before they can head to the library, yet his discomfort doesn't escape Steve's discerning gaze.

"But something is going on. Come on, Javier! This is getting ridiculous. I mean, I feel like you've completely changed. You're just so... weird now. I don't really know how this started, but it's been going on for a few weeks now. Is it because we haven't had any action in a while?"

Javier sets his pen down, finally offering his partner his full attention. His deep brown eyes meet Steve's with a mixture of frustration. "What do you want me to say, Steve? Nothing is going on." Javier's voice holds a touch of defiance.

The tension between Javier and Steve permeates the small, tobacco filled office. Steve can sense that something is amiss, and despite his frustration, he's genuinely concerned for his partner and friend.

"Look, if you don't want to tell me—"

"Tell me what?!" Javier interrupts with a rising edge of frustration in his voice.

"Javi, you're rarely at your apartment, and when I check the bar, they say they haven't seen you around. So either you're living at the brothels now or something's going on."

Javier grapples with Steve's words, his mind conflicted. He doesn't know how to respond because the reality of the situation is undeniable. His evenings that were once spent in the shadows of bars and brothels are now filled with the light of your presence, and every stolen moment he has is cherished in your company. Even his apartment, which used to be a temporary refuge, feels like an unfamiliar place.

"Please, just drop it, Steve. I promise you I'm fine. I'm honored that you care, but you need to relax," Javier pleads, annoyed by his partner's nosey tendencies.

"Alright, fine. Maybe I overstepped. I'm sorry, but you do realize you've changed, right?"

"Yeah... I know I've changed. If anything, I feel healthier. Is that a bad thing?"

Steve watches his friend with a hint of concern in his eyes but ultimately nods in understanding. He knows better than to push further when Javier is unwilling to open up about whatever is happening in his life.

"No! I'm all for it! I'm glad." Steve's uncertainty lingers, although he tries to be supportive of Javier's newfound healthy habbits. He has known Javier long enough to understand that such a radical shift in lifestyle is out of character. Nevertheless, he chooses to trust his friend's words, hoping that whatever changes Javier is experiencing will lead to a better, healthier life.

. . . . .

Your heart flutters with excitement as the little bell announces a customer's entrance. It's become a sweet routine, the way you anticipate their arrival each time they visit the library. Your eyes look up from your book to meet Javier's, and a genuine smile spreads across your face, warming your eyes as you acknowledge their presence.

"Good afternoon, Boys! Can I help you with anything today?" you inquire, your voice brimming with pleasant surprise.

Steve responds with a grin and a nod, but his words seem to drift past you, overshadowed by the sight of Javier looking incredibly handsome in his pink shirt. Steve attempts to engage in conversation, yet it's clear you're captivated by the man you've come to adore. Javier, keenly aware of your attention, responds with a playful wink and a teasing smirk. Fortunately for you, Steve remains oblivious to Javier's flirtatious gesture, focusing on more practical matters.