Biblichor: Chapter 29

Beeeeeeep

Your head whips up to look at the monitor.

Flatline

No heartbeat

No oxygen

Nothing

"I swear to God, Mary!" Javier shakes his head at the pregnant woman who swings the plug in her hand.

"Mary!" You whine, burying your face back into Javier's side as you two cuddle in the hospital bed.

"You guys are making me nauseous!" She grimaces. "I can't keep watching you two be all lovey-dovey."

"So what!." You pout, snuggling closer into Javier and pressing kisses on him. "I almost lost him!"

"But you didn't! You're lucky Connie and I got back early and wanted to check in on you."

"Yes, and I'm eternally grateful for that, but please stop messing with the monitor and making me think he's dead!"

The door flies open as Connie, and a few other nurses sprint into the room. "Mary!" Connie scolds. "This is the third time today! Stop doing that!" She walks over to Mary and yanks the cord from her before putting it back into the socket as the other nurses go back to their work.

"Ugh! I need some sort of entertainment! I'm sick of watching these two cuddle and kiss all day."

"We almost died!" Javier retorted.

"Whatever, Chris should be here soon. I'm going to go meet him outside." The three of you shake our heads as Mary walks out of the hospital room.

"I'm glad I'm here. I had to talk to you two anyway. So, since you're not actually dying, we're going to keep you for another few hours, and then you're free to go back home."

"I don't wanna go back there." You grip Javier's hand tighter.

"We won't." Javier brings his free hand up to caress your cheek. "I promise we'll never go back there."

"I can have Steve pack up your place if you guys would like?" Connie generously offered.

Javier nodded, "Yeah, that would actually be great. If it's no trouble, of course."

"I insist! I'll call Steve and have him move your stuff out. Do you guys wanna stay with us?"

"Oh, no! That's very sweet of you, Connie, but we can't." You say.

"So, where are you gonna stay?"

Javier shrugs and looks down to you, who rests on his chest. "Hotel?"

"I guess?" You shrug back.

"Alright, you two, I'll get everything packed and situated for you. I'll be back to let you go in a bit." Connie walks over to the side of the bed you rested on. "I can take these bandages off your neck now." She reaches over to undo the gauze and cloth around your neck to reveal a long scab. "The wound closed nicely." She smiles. "I just need to clean up this blood and put a little medicine on it and you should be good to go-"

"I can do it." Javier interrupts.

"You want to?" She questions.

"Yes, please."

"Alright then. I'll go get your guy's new meds and some stuff to clean up that wound." Connie gives you a closed-mouth smile before leaving.

You adjust yourself to look up at Javier. "Baby?"

"Hmm?"

"Why won't you just let Connie take care of it?"

"I want to, okay." He says defensively as if he were being personally attacked.