Biblichor: Chapter 18

After the meltdown Javier had at the office, Steve had lost track of him. All-day, Chris, Steve, and Daniel had discussed the possible effects of the information being public, as well as what to do with Javier.

"He's not picking up his home phone. I'm worried 'bout what he's getting himself into." Chris thought out loud. "Being alone during a time like this and being the way he is could only mean trouble."

"I can drive around town and try to find him." Daniel offers.

"No, no. I know where he is." Steve stands up from his chair, extending his arms to stretch his tight muscles. Daniel and Chris follow suit, seizing their keys and jackets.

"Alright, where to?"

Steve shook his head. "Sorry, guys. Only I'm going."

They hesitantly nod but know it's for the best.
Steve grabs his stuff and heads out. A 20-minute drive later leads him to an old bar the two used to go to.

Javier sat at the bar, whiskey and his cigarette in one hand while the other nurses a headache. It was one of the more mellow bars in town, mostly known for hosting one-nightstands, but Javier wasn't interested in reverting too much into his old self.

"Hey there, handsome." A tall woman took a seat next to Javier. "I've never seen you around here before, and trust me, I would have remembered someone that looks as good as you do."

Javier didn't even glance at her before saying, "It's never happening, get lost." With a huff, the woman stormed off.
Javier groans when the woman is replaced by Steve. "What do you want?" He asks as Steve takes the seat beside him.
"Come on, Jav. It's been enough."

"Oh, Okay!" Javier says sarcastically. "Let me go run to her and tell her I love her! Is that what you want from me?"
"Yes! That's exactly what you should do!" Steve waves his arms around in frustration, but Javier continues to roll his eyes.

"No! Look, it's never going to work out, so just drop it."

"Bullshit! I mean, honestly, Javi, what did you expect? You asked her to move in with you a while back. What if she said yes? You live together and never love her?"

Javier didn't know how to respond, feeling like he had been caught in a trap.

"What about dinner at my place? You already said you loved her, but you were too scared to say anything. Hell, she made it as easy as possible for you! All you had to say was 'I love you too' and all would be fine but no. You had to go be the stupid, dramatic, self-loathing Javier Peña and break that girl's heart along with your own!"

Javier closed his eyes and took a long drag of his cigarette. Too many thoughts and emotions were swirling around his mind.

"Do you love her?"

Javier can feel his chest tighten. "Steve-"

"Come on, Javier. It's a simple yes or no question."

"No, it really isn't!"

"Yes. It. Is." Javier takes a deep, shaky breath. "Do you love her?"

"I- I"

"Don't you dare say 'I don't know'"

"I do! Okay! I do!" Steve sits back in his seat, amused by his work. Meanwhile, Javier's body was shuddering due to the terrifying emotions.

"That wasn't so hard, now, was it?" Javier glares at Steve before gulping down the last of his drink.

"I- '' Javier stops his train of thought, having the complete realization sink in. In a split second, his life with you flashes before his eyes. He thinks about the way you giggle, the way you get shy when he compliments you, how gorgeous you look on your dates, and how perfect your lips are against his. "I love her... I really do." A small smile slowly creeps onto Javier's face. "I love her. I love her so damn much."