9.

Comment + Vote 🤍
Omniscient
"Um, is she okay?" Maniya sniffed. It was currently 8am and her dad had just rung to let her know about her mom's miscarriage.

"Ion know to be honest Niya, she's shaken up," Dave said lowly into the phone.

"Daddy are you okay?" Maniya asked him. She knows that when it came down to Naala, Dave always sacrificed his feelings to make sure she was okay.

"I'm straight," Dave said clearing his throat. "I'm gonna bring her home now, tell your grandma we're coming,"

"I will, love you," Maniya said wiping her eyes. Dave replied and they hung up.

Naala was sat up in the bed, tapping through her phone when Dave re entered the room. He rose a brow at how concentrated she was.

"What are you doing?" He asked putting his hands in his pocket.

"I have a big case coming up, I'm catching up," Naala responded, not taking her eyes away from the screen.

"You're working?" Dave asked stepping forward,

"Yes I am. Is that a problem?" Naala finally looked up at him.

"Naala we just lost -" Naala didn't even let him finish the sentence before she got on the phone.

"I won't be in this morning but I'll still be checking my emails," She said to the person on the phone. "3pm that's perfect," Naala agreed the time with them and hung up.

"You're not going back to work today," Dave said as soon as she hung up the phone.

"Why not?" Naala questioned slipping out of the bed. Dave rushed to her side and she swatted his hands off.

"I'm not disabled stop it," Naala muttered softly. Dave held her put her clothes on and then bent down to help with her shoes.

"I don't want you going straight back to work Naala," Dave said to her, while he got up. He held her hand but she let go.

"What would you prefer I do? Stay at home and let our dead baby bleed out of me?" Naala responded coldly. "I'm going to work,"

With that Dave didn't say another word, he didn't speak when the doctor discharged them. He didn't say a word, when the doctor said they could try again, he remained silent. The entire ride home while Naala searched her case, spoke to three different people about the meeting she was planning on having - he stayed silent.

"Has your mom left?" Naala asked when Dave put the car in park.

"Why would she leave?" Dave mumbled, taking her bags out of the car. Naala breathed out and shut her eyes, that was a relaxing technique she'd learnt.

"I don't want her in my house," Naala said getting out of the car. Her movements were slow due to the cramps she was still experiencing. "Did you hear me?" Naala questioned Dave as he walked ahead of her.

"What do you want me to do Naala? Kick my mama out?" Dave said helping her up the steps. That's exactly what she wanted.

"Yes, I can't deal with her right now." Naala gritted out, as she held onto him tightly.

The change in her voice made Dave look down, he could hear the pain.

"Okay. I'll tell her to leave," He replied rubbing her back. "If that makes you feel better?"

"It's never going to feel better," Naala said looking at him strangely, "Why would you say something like that?" Dave sighed, he couldn't say anything right today.