45.

Omniscient

13 years ago ...

"I shouldn't be doing this right now." Naala groaned. She was in the hospital because of her bleeding at 36 weeks pregnant.

"Then you shouldn't have been having sex at 16," Naala's dad, Jacob, mumbled beside her.

"Really daddy? Right now," Naala mugged him picking up her cup of ice.

"Yeah right now," He said fixing the pillows behind her back. "You still not gonna tell me who it is?"

"He's not here anyway dad, he's not important," Naala replied. She never told her dad that Dave was the father because he would go ballistic.

"He's not important," Jacob scoffed. "You can barely look after yourself Naala,"

"Daddy please," Naala said putting her head down. "I'm in enough pain,"

"And now you about to have two babies on your own," Jacob said using the cloth to wipe her head. Even though he was angry, that was still his baby girl.

"I can do it," Naala said quietly, she had to think positively.

"You don't know the first thing about babies La," Jacob shook his head.

"What do you want me to do now?" Naala asked him.

"Adoption is always an option. I know a few parents at the school who have been struggling to conceive," Jacob suggested.

"You want me to give my babies away?" Naala asked sadly.

"You have your whole life ahead of you," Jacob said in response. "Don't let this ruin it for you,"

Naala thought hard about what her dad was saying, maybe she couldn't look after them.

The doctor entered the room with a solemn look making Naala sit up.

"Can you tell me what's going on now?" Naala asked the doctor, desperate to get out of there.

"One of the twins has the cord wrapped around its neck,  we haven't been able to detect a heartbeat which probably means they are no longer alive," The doctor blurted out.

"How can you just say it like that?" Jacob grumbled standing to his feet. The look on Naala's face made him more angrier.

"Sir —"

"No, she is 17!" Jacob shouted. "You don't break bad news to a 17 year old like that,"

"Daddy," Naala whimpered sadly. Jacob ignored her and carried on going off on the doctor.

"I just want them out," Naala shouted over him. "Get them out of me," She ordered. That was enough for her not to want the babies anymore.

The doctor nodded quickly and prepared Naala for labor. The entire process Naala couldn't think straight.

The pain was unbearable and her dad was making everything ten times worse.

"One more push and the first baby is out," The doctor prompted Naala to push.

"One more push Naala, I know you can," Jacob spoke holding her hand.

"Ahhh," Naala pushed with all her strength, Sinai slipping out with ease.

"That's baby number one out," The doctor announced, "It's a girl," He added when Sinai's screams filled the room.

"I don't care," Naala tutted laying back down. Jacob sighed and looked over at the nurses that were cleaning Sinai up.