17.

Omniscient

Dave sat at the kitchen island, staring at the envelope addressed to him. He knew exactly what was in the envelope but he wasn't sure if he was ready to hear it.

"Are you ready?" Naala asked coming behind him. She was holding Saint's hospital bag and his coat.

"I gotta go and see Dean, you might have to pick him up on your own," Dave lied. Naala frowned but didn't say anything, she wasn't trying to argue with him.

He stood to his feet and ushered around her, picking up his car keys not before stuffing the envelope in his pocket.

"What are you hiding?" Naala said softly shifting her weight onto the other foot.

"Not now Naala," Dave shut her up. "I'm not in the mood to fight with you, just go and get him,"

"Saint, your son, not him," Naala replied looking up at him.

The envelope in Dave's pocket was itching to be opened, he needed to know.

"Yeah whatever, go get him," Dave shrugged leaning against the counter.

"You're really showing your ass," Naala pointed at him. "If you didn't want to go then you should have said so,"

Dave was tired of her painting him out to be the bad guy. She never reassured him, all she ever did was cry.

"Naala look me in the eye and tell me that Saint is my son," Dave sighed looking at her. "Because I have the information I need but I want to give you a chance to tell me,"

"Please can you drop this," Naala sighed. "He looks exactly like you,"

"No he doesn't," Dave responded. "He has curly hair Naala, while Phat and Nai have straight hair,"

Naala blinked at him, unsure of what to say. Dave stared back at her,

"Tell me the fucking truth Naala," Dave grunted. He felt the anger building up inside him.

"Don't curse at me," Naala replied lowly. "He's yours, I feel really disrespected that you're still on this. It was two weeks ago, we know that there was a mixup at the hospital,"

"How convenient for you," Dave laughed pulling the envelope out of his pocket. "Open it,"

Naala bit her lip and stared at the counter, she knew what that was - it was obvious.

"You tested our son?" Naala whispered. Dave nodded and stepped forward,

"I tested your son," He corrected her. "Everything about the way you're behaving right now shows that he's not mine,"

"He's too young Amir, this will ruin him." Naala said with tears in her eyes. "Don't do this,"

"Open the envelope Naala," Dave said, this time a bit louder. Naala knew better than to get him angry so she reached forward and took the letter.

Naala took a shaky breath and tore the envelope open. Her eyes skimmed the page until she saw exactly what she prayed she wouldn't.

"I'm sorry," Naala cried putting the paper on the counter. "I'm so sorry,"

Dave didn't even have to look, her reaction was all he needed. "Who was it? And I don't want no bullshit ass story, I want the truth,"

"You'll hate me," Naala sobbed, "I want you to know it was a mistake,"

"Who the fuck was it?!" Dave shouted making her cry harder.

"Priest," Naala muttered, "It was Priest but please you have to understand—"