24: Slipping and falling (m)

XXIII.

Y/N realized she was about 10 minutes late to her dinner date with Joy, and asked for their table under the fake name Joy had used for the night.
"Right this way, please." The waiter led her to the table, crossing most of the relatively fancy restaurant that Joy had picked.
After thanking the waiter, she took her seat in front of Joy and greeted her with a smile.
"Joy-ssi, I'm sorry I'm late!"Y/N lowered her head in apology.
She noticed Joy had an almost empty glass of champagne in front of her, and wondered if she had made her wait maybe more than she knew.
Had Joy arrived earlier than the time they had agreed on?
She often was late herself, so Y/N was taken aback by the thought.
This was unusual, and Y/N wasn't sure how much more out of the ordinary things she could handle at the moment.
Joy's hair was down, but a small part was tied behind the back of her hair with an ivory colored hairpin. Her top was a black blouse open just above cleavage level in the front, displaying her slender shoulder blades and the line in between her breasts in a subtle and relatively chic and cute way. The sleeves were cut just above shoulder level and puffed a little, making it elegant. She also wore a pearl necklace, medium-sized, and emerald-colored earrings, Y/N guessed they were probably real.
"Joy-ssi?"Joy repeated and burst out laughing, "since when are you so formal to me?" her chest rose with the laughter, and Y/N couldn't help but smile even though she was the subject of Joy's teasing remark.

*** *** ***

Y/N had closed her door and tossed her keys on her kitchen counter with a sigh.
Thinking back on Joy's timid demand at dinner of being understanding towards Seulgi, it made her scoff and cross her arms as she sat on her green leather couch, her phone on her wooden and glass coffee table in the middle of her living room.
A large TV was in front of the coffee table, but she had no intention of turning it on just yet.

She let out a 'tsk' to herself, thinking Joy was too nice for her own good, and was about to get up to fetch herself a drink from her open kitchen, when her phone buzzed.
She checked the time first, 11:30 PM, and wondered if Joy had texted her to inform Y/N she had gotten home safe and sound. Without looking at it before-hand, she opened the text.

ROSIE

Hey handsome, are you busy?

Y/N's eyes widened at the text.
Rosé had gone to Australia the following morning after they had talked to each other earnestly, and they had talked through text ever since, but nothing serious.
No real talk about what all of this could mean for them, if there was a them anymore.
No talk of what Y/N had been up to, what had changed for Rosé, nothing of the sort.
And so Y/N figured they would find time to talk about it when Rosé would come back to Seoul, but she had texted her two days prior to inform her that she wouldn't be available before Saturday, and it was well into Friday anyways.
Her eyes roamed over the words another time.
'Handsome', Y/N eyebrows perked up, and she scratched the back of her neck to avoid feeling hot under her sweater. Rosé was very bold considering their history and recent rekindlement. Y/N wasn't sure if she liked it or if it bothered her.
Not that she would blame anyone for stating the obvious, but this was a surprise.

Y/N

I just got home. I thought you were on your plane back?

Y/N hit text, well aware she hadn't acknowledged Rosé's compliment, or been anything more than the bare minimum of politeness. But it didn't bother her, now.
She just couldn't be back to the person she was before all of that, as if nothing had happened. And she couldn't help feeling angry and defensive.
So what if Rosé was sincere? Even if that was the case, Y/N wouldn't be so easy to get back.
Maybe she didn't have an honest group of friends, or an honest and sane ex-girlfriend, but at least she still had her pride.