27: Almost heaven

XXVII.

"Ashley from school?"Y/N exclaimed with her mouth full of cotton candy.
Seulgi looked around nervously around them in the amusement park.
As a sign of good will, she had agreed to take Y/N on a friend date in Lotte World.
She was risking her privacy by being here with only Y/N, and refused with a shake of her hand when Y/N offered her some cotton candy.
She re-adjusted her cap firmly on her head, sighed in her mask.
Surely people couldn't recognize her just with her eyes right?
Hopefully no one would.
Seulgi wasn't usually too worried, unlike some of her bandmates, about getting recognized, because her anxiety wasn't actually that out of control most days.
Today she felt a little nervous just because it had been a while after Covid had hit, but it would be okay.
Plus Y/N looked pretty happy with that cotton candy and that dumb smile of hers, so.
"Yeah. I can't believe you've never even run into each other."Seulgi said.
Y/N nodded distractedly, her eyes looming over price tags of some stuffed animals behind the glass of a store near them.
"Sooyoung says she's a big troublemaker now."Seulgi tried to gain Y/N's attention again.
Y/N took another big mouthful of cotton candy, and replied with her mouth full.
"Oh really?
-Yeah. She says she gossips a lot. And Sooyoung is worried she's a real snitch."
Y/N gulped visibly and went to wipe her mouth with her hand, but decided against it when Seulgi handed her a paper towel, thanking her, suddenly feeling like a child.
Y/N cleared her throat, trying to focus on what Seulgi was trying to bring to her attention.
She really loved amusement parks, and couldn't be helped.
"A gossip? In YG Entertainment?"Y/N repeated, and the end of her sentence was a whisper just in case someone walking by could hear.
Seulgi nodded, relieved to see her friend was catching on.
"How'd she ever get hired?"Y/N scoffed in disbelief. "I can't even tell you how many questions I had to answer about this sort of thing during my interviews. As if only married people and people who really don't care about music could do their job right..."
Seulgi snorted so loudly she saw an elder woman turn their way, and she quickly grabbed Y/N's arm to walk away from the front of the store and back to the center of the park, walking to another ride.
"I mean you did end up dating one of their idols, Y/N."Seulgi remarked.
"Yeah I guess that's true."She conceded.

After deciding on their next ride, and after Y/N had thrown the remaining stick of what used to be her cotton candy, they got in line, and a comfortable silence settled in.
They didn't need to exchange words but Y/N hoped Seulgi knew she was forgiven.
Or at least for now.
Sure, it didn't mean that it hadn't hurt, but she loved Seulgi like family, for good reason, and would give her a chance to prove it had only been a mistake, a one time thing.
"Speaking of,"Y/N suddenly said, "Chaeyoung had a hickey."
Seulgi's eyes almost popped out of her skull.
Now that everything seemed to be going back to...or towards a good thing between her best friend and the other idol, and between Y/N and herself, now this?
Seulgi's brain rummaged through her memories to connect the words to something she could have known or missed while she talked to Rosé and everyone of their friends, while Y/N and Rosé weren't on speaking terms.
Was Y/N going to think Seulgi was in on it? She started to sweat nervously.
Deep down she knew Y/N wouldn't even think about it, but her guilt made her anxious.
"What? What do you mean?"Was all that Seulgi could blurt out, not sure how she should react since Y/N's tone had been nothing but pensive and calm just now.
Y/N only looked at her thoughtfully, she knew Seulgi had heard, Seulgi knew she wouldn't say it twice.
"Are you sure that's what it was? Not a bruise or...I don't know, did you see it well?
-It was pretty dark," Y/N admitted and scratched her head while they advanced in the line.
They still had a bunch of people before them but surely they would get to ride the attraction before it was too long.
"But I'm pretty sure I know how to recognize a hickey when I see one,"Y/N said, "especially on her skin." And this time she scoffed.
Seulgi's brows rose. So Y/N was mad?
Her best friend's newfound calmness after finding out she had been the butt of the joke for months was good to see because Seulgi was glad she hadn't completely lost it, but she was starting to get worried now. Maybe she would have preferred for Y/N to lose her shit completely, and deal with her emotions.
Her recent persona was... somewhat unsettling in Seulgi's eyes.
She had basically grown up with her, and had never seen her like this.
"And did you tell her?"Seulgi inquired.
Y/N nodded.
"I asked her if it was a hickey."
Seulgi made a face.
"What? I was surprised, so it was a genuine question! Plus I wanted to see what she'd say after I got a closer look.
-And what'd she say?
-She said it was a bruise, and she sort of pulled away and left in a hurry after that."Y/N recalled.
Seulgi felt like screaming.
She liked Chaeyoung, she really did.
The aussie was charming, funny, pretty, and more, but the more time went by the more she felt like giving an earful to the Blackpink member for all the unnecessary white hair she had unknowingly given Seulgi.
"Yeah cause that's not suspicious at all."Seulgi said ironically.
Y/N chuckled dryly.
"I know right."
They took another few steps in the line.
Y/N still hadn't said anything more.
She just looked ahead to see the others in the ride, and a smile appeared on her lips when they heard excited yelling from the installation.
Seulgi wondered, for once, what went in that brain of hers.
She usually could tell, but right now she was at a loss.
She decided to push a little.
Maybe she had been a terrible confidant by being a liar in the past months, but it couldn't hurt to try and nudge her friend in the right direction now.
" So what? Are you waiting it out for...revenge? To stick it up to her?
-It's not like that.
-That's exactly what it looks like Y/N. "
Seulgi sighed.
"Listen I can't tell you what to do but..."
If it was to go  from no relationship to a toxic one where Y/N only tried to put Rosé's back against the wall because she resented her but couldn't let go, maybe it was better to leave things all together and move on?
Yeah, Y/N knew that. Somewhere deep down.
"Whatever Seulgi, maybe I'll just ask her."
Seulgi's silence was telling, and she understood Y/N didn't mean to ask the same question.
She meant asking who.
Y/N internally groaned, Seulgi was right, she was a complete mess, and she was letting her life get messier and messier.
Did she really want to know who had replaced her under Rosé's soft and creamy body?
"Or not."Y/N mumbled
Seulgi's reassuring hand patted her back, and Y/N smiled softly at her.
"Thanks, Seul. Sorry I'm just..."Y/N motioned to herself, unable to explain what went on in her brain, all too aware the changes had been noticed by Seulgi.
"You know."She trailed off.
Seulgi nodded, and pulled her into a short hug.
"It's okay. I'm sorry."Seulgi corrected, and she felt a weight leave both of their shoulders.
They parted unexpectedly because a kid rightfully, and loudly, pointed out they were blocking the line.
Y/N apologized while Seulgi walked ahead, afraid of getting recognized by such a young public, and soon enough they could enter the ride, and scream away their worries.