TWENTY FOUR.

༻✧༺

༻✧༺

''The bet? Sure, what's up?'' Gin replied while trying to keep the phone between his ear and his shoulder as he lit up another cigarette and Kuroo cleared his throat while going through his hair with his free hand.

''Are you at school by any chance?''

''Yup, studying but taking a cig break.''

''Alright, come to the gym please.''

''Kay,'' was all Gin said before hanging up the phone. Kuroo quickly snuck outside of the library and went on his way to the gym. He wasn't leaving you alone, but he simply needed to talk about this shitty bet he had agreed to. He didn't feel like it would take a long time, which is why he didn't give you a heads up, which was something he regretted whilst thinking about it on his way to the gym. He wasn't sure exactly how long this would take and you might feel like he secretly snuck out because of the small argument the two of you shared. He kept making up lies and lies, leaving details out and making you go into a spiral of continuous lies that were strangling you at this point— and Kuroo as well. He had this whole bet right in front of him and he had to deal with it on his own, without telling you a word about it.

He wanted to call it quits.

He didn't want to continue the bet anymore, yeah, he lost. He lost the bet he thought he wouldn't lose, he was so confident in it. He was so sure he wouldn't fall in love, but there he is. Head over heels over the new girl. The girl who stole his heart. He was going to lose volleyball, lose his position as captain of the team and it bothered him, which is why he wanted to have a heart to heart talk about it with Gin. He didn't want to lose volleyball, but he didn't want to lose you either. Gin must know the bet was stupid as well, it was all just for shits and giggles. They shouldn't have taken it seriously anyway— if Kuroo lets himself walk down the walk of shame then Gin would surely show some remorse and agree that they should discontinue the bet ... right?

But would he feel the same if he won the bet?

Was it still all a stupid bet if he had won?

''It's my own fault,'' Kuroo said to himself. It was no one but his own fault, he was the one who agreed to a bet he could've easily said no to. It wasn't like Gin was forcing him. Sure, he had to deal with his constant nagging about how he was a pussy and didn't want to take on such an easy bet, but in the end, he wouldn't have to fight against his own feelings and he wouldn't have to admit defeat. If only he had just said no and had gotten to know you under normal circumstances, he could've been happy with you now— you would've been happy now. The whole science incident wouldn't have happened and he could've just been in love with you without having to hide such things that will break your heart.

But there was no point in thinking this way. The deed had been done, words had been said and deals had been closed, he had to face the consequences of his own mistakes now, although, he was praying he could talk himself out of this. Him having to lie to an innocent girl was enough punishment, no? He already felt horrible when he saw your eyes in disappointment and disbelief when you found out about the science thing, he wasn't sure how you were going to react to the bet and it made him feel anxious.