TWENTY SIX.

༻✧༺

༻✧༺

Kuroo went back to the library while his head hung low, feeling horrible about everything that was happening to him even though he knew damn well he could've avoided all of this if he had simply rejected the bet and had been honest to you. but it was easy to say that after everything had already happened. This wasn't meant to happen in the first place. He wasn't even supposed to catch feelings for you. People around him were all either making homework or studying for their upcoming tests, faint noises of people talking in the background as Kuroo cleared his throat.

He scratched the back of his head as he tried his best to accept that he had lost the bet and he accepted that the truth was going to come out sooner or later and in the end, your heart was going to be broken even though he desperately wanted to avoid that from the start. This was something that was destined to end wrong and he could only face the consequences and heartbreak.

He sat down on the chair, noticing you had already cleaned up your workspace and you weren't sitting there anymore. The table that you and he were using was in the middle of the library, and completely clean with no signs of books or anything of that sort. He groaned as he got his phone out of the pocket of his jeans, the device he hadn't had checked yet lit up with a text of yours. His breath got stuck in his throat as he read that you told him everything was going to be alright.

''If you only knew,'' he whispered to himself. Oh, how he wished he could turn back time and do everything differently. He didn't expect you to be that likeable. He didn't expect himself to fall in love with someone so much to the point he'd even risk giving up volleyball. ''Hi,'' a faint voice behind him said and the seat next to him got pulled backwards, the legs of the chair scraping across the ground.

''Kenma, what are you doing here?'' Kuroo asked his friend who had a sandwich hanging from his mouth and his phone was glued to his hands. He looked up at Kuroo, immediately noticing the pain in his eyes and he slightly frowned, ''are you okay?''

''Yeah!'' Kuroo laughed, the usual grin he gave to everyone showed up and tried to deceive Kenma into thinking he is okay. He didn't want to tell Kenma about everything that happened, he tried to avoid bringing up the bet in the first place because he knew Kenma wasn't fond of it from the start. Even though he was there when the bet was made, he wasn't paying attention to it and when Kuroo explained to Kenma exactly what he was going to do, he was not having it.

''What are you playing?'' Kuroo asked, trying to switch the topic of the conversation to Kenma's game addiction as he looked at his friends' screen that was filled with bright colours, ''it surprises me you don't get bored of playing that game.''

''Kuroo,'' Kenma called out his name, pursing his lips together as his brow slightly twitched. Kuroo knit his brows together and his lips slightly parted, afraid of what his best friend was going to say to him, he suddenly started to laugh nervously. ''Is it about the bet?'' Kenma finally breathed out, putting his phone away onto the table, even shutting it off which made the black-haired boy swallow thickly.

''No.''

''Don't lie to me.''

''I'm not lying.''

''Yes you are,'' Kenma said, matter-of-factly as he made a face.

''I'm not,'' said Kuroo, reared back in his chair.

''.... You are.''

''Wrong.''

Kenma sighed and stood up, ''if you're not going to be honest to me then I don't feel like talking to you,'' he mumbled, taking his phone in his hands again and before he was about to walk away, Kuroo grabbed his arm to make him stop. He wanted to talk to Kenma, he wanted to talk about everything but he was afraid he'd get judged. The usual him who didn't care much about what others thought of him suddenly felt self-conscious as he had messed up badly.

''She knows I lied about being bad at science.''

Kenma didn't say a thing, simply waiting for Kuroo to carry on venting about everything that happened regarding the bet. ''I talked to Gin, asked him if we could call the bet quits but he didn't agree. He said too much time had passed and I have to face the consequences.''

''So, you're not going to be captain anymore?''

''No.''

''Coach agrees with that?''

''We haven't explained everything yet, I'm not sure when Gin wants to do all of that. Anyway, I asked Gin to keep his mouth shut to Y/N, I don't want her to know about it.''

''Gin will run his mouth for sure.''

Kuroo thought for a second, nibbling on his bottom lip as Gin's face popped into his head and a sudden pang of stress hit his chest. He looked down at the ground, bringing both his hands up to his hair, tangling his fingers in his locks. Maybe that explained why you had left, but then why did you tell him everything was going to be alright? ''He will. Won't he?'' Kuroo painfully groaned.

''Yes. For sure,'' Kenma nodded as he brought his bag onto his lap, grabbing another sandwich out of it which he finished quickly, gulping down the dry bread with a bottle of water. ''I told you I hated this from the start. You're stupid.''

''Haaa?!'' Kuroo whined angrily, ''say that again?''

''You know you are. You're regretting the bet.''

Kuroo inhaled and exhaled deeply, a scowl appearing on his face as his brow showed his regret. He felt horrible, heartbreak already cracking up his heart as he knew the break-up would happen soon. He wished he could've just explained everything to you when he got the chance, but he felt like he could fix all of it on his own. He couldn't this time. Only honesty could've gotten him out of this situation and it might have already been too late. ''What do I do now?''

''You usually always know what to do.''

''I don't this time.''

''It's that bad?''

''It is. I love her,'' Kuroo muttered under his breath as he cleared his throat, he wasn't afraid to admit his love for you but under these circumstances, he felt very stupid. He knew Kenma was going to scold him, despite him usually being quiet around everyone, even Kuroo, he could give him a handful if he didn't agree with something. He already warned Kuroo multiple times about the bet and Kuroo had brushed it off every time, telling Kenma he will be able to handle it and he wasn't going to fall in love.

But boy, was he wrong and was Kenma right

''Tell her you love her,'' Kenma nodded and Kuroo raised a brow at his friend.

''And what will that do?''

''It might help you to be honest about at least something.''

Kuroo clenched his jaw as he had been roasted by his friend, but he was right. He had lied quite a lot in this relationship and it was only fair to be honest now, especially about this. Even if it was too late, he still wanted you to know exactly how he felt about you. ''And if she won't believe me?'' Kuroo asked.

''Then you got it off your chest and tried.''

Kuroo winced, mentally scolding himself as he was so intensely angry at himself about letting everything get this far. But he had to put a stop to this. Even if Gin had already told you about the bet, he still needed to tell you he loves you. He still wanted to try, he wanted to try and let you know his real feelings about you, no lies this time.

He had to tell you the truth this time.