C38

After deciding that neither of them could be bothered to cook they decided to to pick up a take away along with the bottle of wine, after a brief discussion they went for pizza. That way they could get a variety that they knew everyone would eat. They walked through the door to fits of laughter. The four kids were in the front room. Aiden was having a strop about his score on the wii. According to him the contest had been unfair. "How was I meant to know which way to swing my hips?" Harry was laughing and loving the feeling of beating Aiden while Bex was showing them how to hoola hoop properly.

Jess was sat in the corner, and while she was quiet she didn't seem upset. She looked up at Rob and Karen when they walked into the room and smiled.

Rob held up the bags of food. "So anyone hungry?" Aiden and Harry were up and had between them carried the food bags into the kitchen before anyone had a chance to turn around. Bex followed with Rob soon after. Karen stayed for a moment to talk to Jess who was getting off the sofa. "I'm really sorry about today Jess..." Karen reached out and rubbed Jess' shoulder.

"It's alright...it was never going to be easy...any of it." Jess looked straight at her Mum. "I love you though Mum...I wish I'd told you." She pulled away from Karen's touch. She couldn't help but feel ashamed about how long it had taken to talk to her Mum about it.

Karen shook her head and stepped forward so she could wrap an arm around Jess. "Don't do it to yourself Jess...and believe me I know it's easier to blame yourself and be sad, but it's so not worth it. You need to keep your head up and be proud of everything you are." She put a finger under Jess' chin and tipped it up. "I am so proud of you...and believe it or not I think I'm looking forward to being a Grandma." She rested her other hand on Jess' bump.

Jess looked at her and smiled. "Babysitting on you then." They both laughed.

"Don't push it, I'm only just getting used to the idea of being Granny...and the knitting."

"Has Janeece been talking to you again then?" Jess laughed. It still amazed her how relaxed her Mum was about the whole thing. Never in a million years did she think that she would be so involved with everything. "Mum..," Jess looked up towards her.

"Yeah?"

"You will be there wont you...I mean at the birth. I just, I don't think I could do it without you." Jess looked up at her. She had been thinking about it, and she couldn't imagine going through it with anyone else.

Karen looked at her. "Are you really asking me that? Of course I'm going to be there, that was never in doubt darling. I told you that I would be here for you every step of the way and for as long as you need me...that means everything, ok?" She kissed Jess' forehead.

Jess nodded. "Thankyou. Now pizza...you did get a barbeque one right?" They started towards the door still linked by the arms.

"Of course, with bacon and extra sweetcorn, I do know all your favourites." They both laughed.

"It's mad isn't it?" Jess spoke again. "I was always such a Daddy's girl, and I always thought that if I was ever in trouble then it would be him standing beside me and sorting me out..."

Karen nodded. "I know, and I'm sorry. Part of me wishes I could change it and make the relationship between you better, but I have to be honest Jess. Part of me wouldn't change anything, because this way means that I get another chance with you." Karen knew that she could be honest with her younger daughter. Neither of then were silly when it came to their relationship.

"Don't apologise for something that isn't your fault...and I wouldn't change a thing, when I needed someone it was you. You're my Mum...and nothing's ever going to change that." She hugged her Mum tight. "I love you."

Karen hugged Jess back. "I love you too. Now let's go and get some of this pizza before the boys clear up."