C51

Rob had to stop himself from skipping out of the car and into the rescue centre. He waited for Karen and the kids, before they walked into the centre. They were greeted straight away by a friendly volunteer.

Karen watched Robs eyes darting around the room. She had known from the moment she had agreed to come to the rescue centre that they would be leaving with a kitten. She knew that in a way Rob was right, it seemed the perfect time for them.

"I'll show you through to the area where we have the kittens and you can decide if there are any you want to have a closer look at." She opened the door into the heart of the centre. The kids went through first Rob hung back waiting for Karen.

"I realise that I've pushed really hard for this, but if you really don't want it then I understand. I have so much respect for you Karen, and I love you quite a bit as well." He winked at her before holding out a hand.

Karen took it before gently leaning in and kissing him. "Sometimes I need a push, and I'll tell you when I don't agree but right now lets go and have a look at these kittens." She kept hold of his hand and led him through the door after the kids.

As they walked into the holding area Karen let out a slight giggle. Jess was stood cradling a white kitten with brown splodges over her body. She held her to her bump gently rocking her backwards and forwards. Not realising that she was being watched she gently raised the kitten to her face before gently kissing her head. Rob and Karen watched her and her interaction with the kitten. As they looked around at the other two they saw them bent down looking at kittens, but neither of them had taken to any of the kittens in the same way as Jess.

Aiden was stood slightly separately watching Jess. Rob gently let go of Karen's hand and walked over to where Aiden was standing. "You alright with this mate?" He looked towards his son, he knew that there had been a lot of changes in the past couple of months.

Aiden looked towards his Dad and nodded. "You're happy with Karen...and that makes me happy." He nodded towards Jess, Bex and Harry separately. "I've always wanted siblings...and they're pretty cool." He playfully nudged Rob.

"Make sure you keep talking." Rob nudged his son back. "I'm pretty sure that Harry is appreciating the advice." He winked towards Aiden before leaving him and walking over to where Jess was standing with the kitten. "Can I hold her?" He reached out his arms for Jess to put the kitten into them. Taking the kitten he gently stroked behind her ear. Immediately she started to nestle into him and push down into his arms. "She's really taken to you sweetheart." He looked towards Jess before gently passing the kitten back to her.

"She's beautiful." Jess' whole being lit up as she took the kitten back into her arms. There was something inside her determined to protect the kitten in her arms.

"Looks like we're going to be taking her home them?" Rob looked at Karen who had moved to be standing next to him, she gently nodded in agreement.

Jess looked at them both and then down at he kitten in her arms before bursting into tears. "Do you mean it?" She looked at Rob and then to her Mum.

Karen walked towards her youngest daughter and gently slipped an arm around her before gently kissing her cheek. "Of course we mean it. I can see how much she means to you already." She glanced down at the kitten who had fallen asleep. "You're going to be such an amazing Mum..." Karen looked at her daughter. She still found it strange to think of her baby girl having a baby herself, but now watching her with the kitten and the nurturing instinct that was obvious in her she knew that everything was going to be ok.

"Hey you three we've picked." Rob walked over to where Bex and Harry were standing. Bex turned round and smiled.

"We had guessed." She looked over towards where Jess and Karen were standing with the kitten. "She's pretty gorgeous."

Rob looked over to Karen. "Yeah she is." He knew that wasn't who Bex was talking about, but there was something about Karen that meant he couldn't take his eyes from her. "Come on then, let's go and finish these forms and get the new arrival home." He walked back over to them with the kids. He look Karen's hand in his again and gently squeezed. "Love you."

Karen looked back at him and smiled. "I love you too, but what bought that on?" For so many years she had been in a relationship where affection and things as simple as 'I love you' didn't exist.

"I just needed you to know." He kissed her again. Then turned towards the kids. "Right lets hit the road...we've got a kitten to name."

...

"Right so have we got anywhere closer to a name?" Rob bought the mugs of tea into the room.

Karen looked up and raised her eyebrows. "What do you think?" She took one of the mugs from him before flashing him a smile. "Have you got any more ideas?"

Rob walked over and held out his hands and took the kitten from Jess. He looked at her before smiling. "Socks..." He lifted her so everyone could see the brown socks on three of the kittens feet. He looked towards Karen before looking at the three kids. They all nodded gently.

"Socks Scotcher." It was Bex that spoke first before Harry and Jess nodded.

Rob looked at them. There was something about what they had said that really touched him. He wanted to be part of their lives, but for them to acknowledge it seemed to make it more real. "Can I ask you all something?"

"Go for it." This time it was Jess that spoke.

Rob looked towards Karen and then back at them. "You all know that I love your Mum...and I want to ask your permission to marry her." He felt that the time was right.

Karen looked at him, then at the kids. They were all smiling at her.

"As long as you give me time to get back into shape after the baby...I don't want to look fat in the pictures." She smiled at them.

"About time." This time it was Harry that spoke.

"Let's get planning." Bex stood up and walked over to hug Rob and then her Mum. The rest of them got up and there were hugs and celebrations that finally the family was coming back together.