Ch. 11 - Madame

Monet

Fuck, I was tired.

After my conversation with Loki, he finally left me be to work as he decided to rest on his armchair. I told the man to make breakfast for himself but he refused.

Was I worried he was gonna get hungry?

Nah. Honestly couldn't care less. I was way too drained to probably even get off this stupid chair.

I haven't gotten a blink of sleep tonight as I worked my ass off, trying to clear my schedule for at least the next five days. This attempt obviously hasn't been successful, as I've only done two days worth of work and it's already 5am.

Mme. Dupont's enraged voice has been ringing in my head ever since my phone call with her the night before Bruce and his friends left for the mission.

**

"Mais ça c'est pas possible!" Madame screeches through the speaker.

"Oui, Madame. Je sais et je suis très desolé. S'il vous plaît, donnez-moi une autre chance. I won't let you down," I say, as if I'm practically begging on my knees right in front of her.

"Yes yes, child. Calm down. I shall not fire you just yet. Mais rassurez-vous! One more slip, and you risk lowering your position in S.A.B.L.E. I assume you do not wish for this, yes?"

"Yes, Madame, I do not. And I'm sorry. I will make it up to you, I swear."

"Don't make promises you cannot keep, Miss Ridell." And with that, she hangs up.

God! What an ass. All I did was submit our latest reports both after the deadlines and to the wrong stations. Okay yeah, I admit, that could've turned into a disaster. But nothing fucking happened! I literally got it sorted out ten minutes after.

**

Since then, I couldn't risk making her upset again. So, I've been working every chance I've gotten and double-checked every piece of work I've submitted.

I groaned, slamming my head onto the empty space to the left of the laptop, probably too loud to be unnoticed.

I'm pretty sure I felt Loki move his gaze towards me and I saw him about to open his mouth from the corner of my eye, until someone interrupted him.

"Hey, Monet," one of the less familiar voices spoke up, "you, uh...you doing alright?"

"I'm doing great, Steve!" I responded with sarcastic enthusiasm.

I turned to see a frown on his face and immediately felt bad for my tone of voice. "Ugh. I'm sorry man." I apologised as I rest my face in my hands which sat on my knees, "I'm just tired. Do you know if Bruce is up yet?"

"Pretty sure he's still sleeping," a silk voice interrupts from behind me.

"And who fucking asked you?" I spit out harshly and sharply lifted my head up, resulting in a small gasp from Steve. Yeah, I'm way too tired to be acting rational.

"Well isn't this an ungodly hour for you?" Loki said, continuing to throw his cup up and down.

"Excuse me? And put your damn toy down," I snarl, not moving my face which was already away from him and turned towards Steve. Though, I could still briefly see his actions from the corner of my eye.

He paused them for a moment, stayed in silence, then continued as he began talking again. "You were perfectly fine in our previous conversation yet now you act aggressive and unreasonable. This hour of the day doesn't seem to give the best reaction out of you."

"Listen I'm just tired," I quietly sigh out, drooping my head down. I hadn't gotten well or long enough sleep for days, but today's all nighter really stretched it.

I swear I looked towards Loki and saw a tinge of guilt on his face, until it quickly reverted back to neutral.

"Go get some sleep then, Monet," Steve pitched.

"Oh I wish. But I can't let Madame down," I said with her name in a mocking tone. "This is why I need Bruce. He's helped me countless times before during school, college, and work. He's practically my mentor."

"I'm sorry, who?" Steve questioned.

I brought my head back up to answer him. "Just my boss. She's vicious." Oh, if only they knew.

"I'm sorry. I guess I'll, uh, just leave you to it."

"And please tell me when Mr. Green wakes up."

He lightly chuckled and turned around, heading back to the stairs which also led to his room, just on a different floor to mine. "Will do, Monet."

I turned back around and unpaused my work once more.

~~

A/N: After weeks of not being able to update, make announcements, or even respond to comments my wattpad is finally up and working again (I've still been able to read and comments on other stories but I couldn't do anything else which was really strange). I'm hoping this doesn't happen again 'cause I got really pissed by that. Anyways, next 4 chapters are already up :) have fun reading xx