Ch. 39 - Drink

Loki

We stepped into the lift the moment it arrived and I surprisingly felt the need to apologise for my words from before. I have gone from never even thinking about apologising to struggling to resist it. What has she done to me?

"Monet?"

"Yes, Loki?"

I didn't want to make eye-contact. I felt slightly ashamed of how weak I was around her.

"I am...sorry. For what I said earlier about you. I was only doing it to protect you. You have never been on a mission before and even though this is only a recon mission, you still don't know how to properly defend yourself and Gods forbid if anything happens to you I would never forgive m-"

"Hey," she stopped my rambling and turned my head towards hers with an index on my chin, "You don't have to be sorry. I got what you were trying to do after a few minutes. And nothing'll happen to me," she stood on her toes as I bent my head down for her to kiss my forehead, "Don't worry."

She let go of my face and handed me the comms. We both finished placing them in properly and they were surprisingly not noticeable at all, even with my gelled curly hair tucked behind my ears.

"I like your hair like this," Monet commented.

Gods, I practically blushed at it. Blushed. "Thank you. This is its natural state."

She hummed. "It suits you."

We both clicked the button to turn on the comms just before the door opened and we stepped into the chatter and music flooded room of people.

"We're on the comms, guys," Monet whispered.

"Finally! Took you two long enough," Stark said.

"Sorry. We were...erm..."

"Figuring out how to use them," I saved her. She gave me a thankful glance.

Barton scoffed. "You two are that dumb?"

My jaw clenched but Monet placed a reassuring hand on my arm. Barton and I get along well now - he even told me to go by him as Clint (which I don't) - but he still was aggravating at times.

I took in the sight around us and saw what I was expecting. Nothing too much, just quite a lot of people and soft music shifting through the room. Majority of people were having their own conversations and almost all had a drink in their hand.

I looked over to Monet and saw she was doing the same thing, so I offered my arm to her and she placed her hand in it as I led us further into the room.

Rogers caught my eye as I did his and he quickly ended his conversation with the young lady he was speaking with and nodded us over once she walked off. We walked arm-in-arm together towards him.

"What must we do now?"

He shrugged. "Whatever for now. We are just waiting around, he still hasn't arrived yet. Have a drink, relax, it might be a while. And Tony was just messing with you guys. We still need you two to kind of act together but you don't have to show it much," he was signalling our arms being interlocked.

Monet immediately took her arm out of mine and I was internally disappointed at how we had to go back to resting each other again. Not as much as usual, but still far too much for my liking.

"Great. That works great," she said.

"You completely shot me down, Rogers," Stark complained into the comms.

Monet let out a laugh and grabbed my hand, pulling me away from the Captain.

"Want a drink?"

I shook my head. "Not a fan of the drinks here. You?"