2.5

"So was it a serious thing?" JJ asks carefully, trying to not let on much emotion.

"No," She shakes her head putting Asal on the bed, "It was toxic and unhealthy,"

"So you don't talk to him?"

"Not after I left,"

"It's been four years and you hadn't taken the picture down," 

"A reminder that good memories don't mean good people," She sighs.

"I can't yell at you or tell you that you're a bit-, bad person, for having a relationship before me, but I would have at least wanted to know," He breathes out sitting next to Asal who happily climbs onto his lap. He had been careful not to swear around the little child.

"I know, I should have, but he hasn't been in my life for years and I think he's married now," She replies shrugging, "I'm sorry," 

He sighs and subconsciously pulls her into his arms for a hug. She sighs breathing in his scent. Years ago when they had first met Hadiyeh had given props to JJ's mother, because even though he always smelt like cheap perfume at least he tried. Vik smelt relatively well most of the time as did the other boys, but Ethan and Tobi usually smelt horrendous. To solve the cheap perfume and stinky smells she had bought them all some proper cologne and deodorant for their first Christmas together. She didn't even celebrate Christmas but found it the politest way to tell them that the reason they aren't getting laid by girls is that they smell like absolute shit. Since then she sees it as a tradition for Christmas to buy the boys cologne.

Their moment is cut short when they hear Asal clapping her hands in celebration giggling happily. Hadiyeh had always thought children's feelings vary according to the mood of the room. JJ and Hadiyeh pull apart sharing a look before bursting out in laughter. JJ moves to pick up Asal as there is a knock on the door. 

Hadiyeh moves to open it. 

The same maid from a few minutes before is standing at the door holding a plate of food and a change of clothes for Asal. Hadiyeh thanks her politely before the maid scurries away.

"You feed her and I'll change her," Hadiyeh hands the plate to JJ who takes it in his free hand.

"Deal." He nods.

~~~

When they finally do leave the house they might just be a bit late. Turns out dressing a little drama queen can cause some quarrel that they had not been prepared for. The little brat refused to be held by anyone other than JJ.

"Your late," the driver notes. He had been with the Ezra family the longest. He was one of the loyal few people that you're father kept around.

"We know," she sighs.

"It's fine miss, prayer doesn't start in 15 minutes anyway," the man states.

Hadiyeh turns to JJ, during all of this hassle she had forgotten to confide in him telling him it's fine if he doesn't want to go.

"I want to go," he reassured her. He had always seen her praying but had never thought about himself praying, and it was going to be the first time that he would meet her father.

When they arrived at the mosque Hadiyeh carried in a sleeping baby Asal and directed JJ towards the men's entrance.

"At the door usually sits a man holding some beads, you go to him and ask him where you can find Mohammad Ezra, or just ask about Abbas and he'll tell you where to go," she instructs and they drift apart JJ pressing a small kiss to Asal. He had become accustomed to having the child in his hands.