Chapter 22

The fumes, coming from the potion they were brewing in class, made Severus even more nauseous than he was at the start of the day.

Fiddling with his wand Severus absentmindedly listened to what his favorite professor was saying about the importance of keeping something out of the way of something else.

He wasn't sure what exactly, but if there was one subject he excelled at, it was Potions.

His thoughts were solely on how to ask a certain red-headed Gryffindor to be his girlfriend.

Everything had to be perfect.

Lily deserved the best, and that was just what she would get. Severus would make sure of that.

At first, a secret message that would appear in a special potion seemed like an idea she might like. Then he tossed it out. Rubish.

Lily liked Potions, but they weren't her favorite subject.

Then, a trail of flower petals leading out to the Forbidden Forest and to where a picnic would be set up popped into mind.

And then, he threw that idea right into the bin. Rubish. And a bit creepy.

No, she needed something fit for a dream, like her.

"Maybe I should ask Adelaide to help me think of something," Severus pondered to himself.

"Mister Snape? Would you be so kind as to answer my question?" Professor Slughorn asked, bringing the dark-haired boy out of his reverie.

"Hmm? Oh, yes, Professor," He said in a rush, slyly glancing down at the notes he had unconsciously scribbled on his parchment.

"The answer would be Monkshood, Sir. Dried and then boiled for the best results."

"Wonderful, my boy! Just brilliant! Five points to Slytherin!" Slughorn cheered with a large smile on his plump face.

Severus bowed his head and smirked.

Suddenly, an explosion sounded from across the room.

Everyone turned to where the blast came from, and none were surprised to see Diana O'Keller, a fifth-year Hufflepuff, her shocked face covered with soot.

Her cauldron had erupted when she had miscalculated how many tablespoons of powdered batwing needed to be added to the potion.

Severus chuckled as Slughorn hurried to the girl.

O'Keller was famous at Hogwarts for having nearly blown up each classroom more times than anyone could count.

While the professor was busy helping the poor Hufflepuff, Severus went back to his thoughts on how to, properly, ask Lily to be his girlfriend.

The Halloween Ball had been a week and a half ago and by far one of the best moments of his life.

Lily had looked stunning in her beautiful dress, and ever since that night, he had been itching to ask her.

He just needed to figure out how.

Slytherin had the Study of Ancient Runes with the Ravenclaws next; perhaps Adelaide would have something in mind.

************

Potions ended a short while later, O'Keller being sent to see Madam Pomfrey, and Severus was off to the Runes classroom.

He found Adelaide sitting near the back, as usual, and sat down next to her.

The girl looked up in surprise, though not unhappy with his appearance.

"Oh, hello, Sev! How are you?" She asked politely, turning to send him a bright smile.

"Hello, Adelaide. Fine, thanks. I have a favor to ask," He responded quickly, not wanting to be interrupted when class started shortly.

"Of course. What is it?"

"I want to ask Lily to be my girlfriend, but I can't think of the perfect way to go about doing it! I want to make her feel special and show her that I'm good enough for her!"

"Sev, you are! And she more than knows that! You two have been best friends for ages, you two are perfect for each other!"

"But -"

"Trust me. Lily won't want something extravagant!"

Severus sighed heavily.

"I have loved her since we were children. I just want for her to know that."

Adelaide grinned. "All Lily does when she's with you is smile. She is so happy just to be with you, Sev."

The corners of his mouth lifted. "And I, her."

Both students turned towards the front of the classroom when the Professor called for attention.

"We can talk more after class if you'd like?" Adelaide whispered.

"If you don't mind, thanks."

"Not a problem."

**********

A somewhat boring time later, Slytherins and Ravenclaws emerged from Classroom 6A, more than ready for the day to be over.

Tomorrow would be the first Quidditch match for Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, and Adelaide could feel her nerves beginning to rumble.

But first came the little problem of helping Severus.

"What is it that you have thought of so far?" She asked as they started walking down the corridor towards the library.

"Well -" He told her.

"Hmm. Not horrible. But I'm not sure Lily would need all of that."

"What do you suggest?"

"What about a quiet walk around the Black Lake?"

"That would be nice."

Before Adelaide could say anything else, Lily Evans popped out of nowhere.

"Sev! There you are! Oh, hi Addie!" The cheerful redhead said, giving her a quick smile before focusing on the Slytherin boy. "I have something to ask you, Sev."

He nodded immediately. "Of course."

"I need to be going. See you two later at dinner!" Adelaide said, making a graceful exit.

The couple echoed in agreement without looking her way.

"Is something wrong, Lily?" Severus asked timidly.

"No! No, nothing is wrong. I just wanted to get something off of my chest that's been bugging me forever now!" She exclaimed dramatically, causing him to chuckle.

"What is it then?"

"Well ... I'm just going to say it!"

Silence followed.

"Lily -"

"Will you please be my boyfriend, Sev?" The Gryffindor courage came out of her suddenly, shocking him greatly.

After all of his worry about trying to figure out how to broach the idea to her, she just blurts it out like that!

Not fair! He had to suffer through planning something fantastic!

Oh well.

He kissed her soundly.

And sometime later, she gazed up at him with dazzled eyes.

"Suppose that's my answer then?"

"Suppose so."

He gave her another long answer.