Chapter 52

Sirius sharply nudged James in the side.

"Mate, I get that you're in love with Harthwood, but please stop with the creepy staring! Her dad is going to murder you! And I don't feel like explaining why you are dead to your parents!" The curly-haired boy hissed.

James shook himself out of the trance he had fallen into while watching Adelaide dispose of the garden gnome in a devastatingly attractive way that left his heart hammering in his chest.

"What? Oh, sod off, Padfoot," He grumbled, not taking his eyes from the girl he adored so much as she ran over to the pair.

"James!" Adelaide leaped into his arms and hugged him to her, relishing the feel of him after weeks apart.

A breath of relief escaped from both of their lips as they held each other, with her head resting in the crook of his neck and his nose nuzzling into her hair.

"Merlin's shit! You two are so sweet I'm getting a toothache!" Collier shouted from the garden gate as he and Fletcher made their way over to them.

"Ignore him. I do." Adelaide said, sending a sneer to her brother as she let go of the raven-haired boy.

James was reluctant to release her from his arms, but he was also aware of the scrutinizing look being sent his way by her father, and he was already nervous enough around him.

He liked all of her brothers even though they did indeed scare him at times (Collier the most for sure on both counts), but when it came to Fletcher Harthwood, one of his Quidditch idols, he was terrified.

The man had a fierce look that made the bespectacled boy break into a cold sweat.

"My heart! Pops, she's being mean to me again!" Colli whined dramatically.

Adelaide was fuming as her brother tried to embarrass her in front of the boy she liked.

"Knock it off, laddy," Fletcher said, whacking his mischievous son upside the head as he passed by, coming to stand face to face with James. "So, you're the Potter boy my Birdie is fond of?"

James gulped loudly. "Yes, sir. That's me."

"Don't stutter! Don't stutter! Don't. Stutter!" James was silently begging himself.

Fletcher narrowed his eyes.

James could have sworn that he was about to pass out.

Suddenly a wide grin appeared on the senior Harthwood's face, followed by a hearty chuckle and an extended hand.

"A pleasure to meet you proper like, lad!" Fletcher's voice boomed happily, sending a wave of relief through James.

Adelaide rolled her eyes at her father's antics, and Colli snickered in amusement, earning himself a sharp elbow to the side from his sister.

"The pleasure is all mine, sir," James said, shaking the older man's hand and releasing a breath of relief.

"Please, call me Mr. Harthwood!" Fletcher chuckled amiably.

"'Course, Mr. Harthwood. I must say, I was kind of expecting you to give me a hard time and threaten to hex me if I ever hurt Adelaide!" James laughed nervously.

"Oh, I thought about it!" Fletcher said, letting go of his hand and moving to walk back to the house. "But I thought I would leave that honor to the boys! They are a right lot of menaces and will do fine work on deliverin' threats!"

James could feel his face blanch.

"Come on! Omet has lunch all set out, I'm sure!" Fletcher laughed, strolling passed them.