Chapter 37

January 1978

If anyone said that everything went back to normal after the New Year's party, they would be lying through their teeth.

Peter had spent the whole train ride back to Hogwarts sitting beside Remus and across from Sirius, all of them watching James with varying levels of concern.

Sirius, of course, was mostly concerned with the fact that Wren didn't hate him. That was fair enough.

Remus and Peter shared nervous glances at the depressed look on their friend's pale face.

James had barely uttered a single word since that night at the Harthwood's, and a constant air of annoyance and despair had followed after him.

"And then she said that she thinks I'm an idiot, which I suppose is true; but the important thing here is that she said -"

"Sirius, would you please shut up!" James exploded, startling the boys around him as he quickly stood up from the bench and yanked open the door to their carriage before storming away.

"What in Wizard's pants?" Sirius gasped, wide-eyed and unsure of what had just happened.

"He's hurt. And you talking about the girl you like, returning your feelings, probably made him feel worse," Remus sighed, leaning back against the window, the cold glass soothing the headache that was threatening to make itself known.

Peter nodded his head. "James has never been good at showing emotions that are related to love. So when he finally starts to understand what it's like, and the person he's been trying to get to notice him happens to regret kissing him, well, that makes everything else hurt."

Sirius was quiet, a confused frown creasing his brow.

"We are talking about Harthwood, right?" He asked.

"Yes." Peter and Remus answered.

"I can bet you that she doesn't regret kissing James," Sirius said confidently.

"Oh, no, I'm positive that she doesn't regret kissing him. Just the fact that the kiss happened when she still had a boyfriend," Remus agreed.

"So, what's the problem?"

Peter rolled his eyes at the curly-haired Gryffindor's obliviousness.

"Adelaide isn't the kind of person to lead anyone on falsely. So, she told James that she was sorry and ran away. But Della told me that she was just feeling guilty about doing that to Jaxson," Peter concluded.

"Your girlfriend is a wonderful source of gossip and information," Sirius said, taking in what he had said.

Peter shrugged.

"Do you know what Harthwood is going to do? Break up with Blaze? Or break James' heart?" Sirius asked, a dark look in his gray eyes.

He might be the joker, but anyone who messed with his brother would pay dearly.

"I don't know," Peter sighed, rubbing a hand down his face.

"Whatever happens, we will be there for James," Remus said sternly.

"Once a brother, always a brother," Sirius agreed.

The three Marauders silently hoped that a certain strawberry-haired Ravenclaw would be gentle on their friend's heart.

*******

Adelaide nearly burst into tears when she left Collier and her father on platform 9 3/4.

She wasn't ready to return to the drama that awaited her at Hogwarts.

She wasn't ready to face Jaxson and have the talk that needed to happen before anything else could.