Chapter 23

Royan Chase was close to being murdered by nearly every member of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team.

The first match of their season was less than twenty minutes away from starting, and he was running around making sure that everyone was warming up and had their brooms polished.

Della had to be held back at one point from jumping on him by Alexander and Adelaide, her face set in a snarl.

Royan was oblivious to all of this - rushing over to where Jaxson was standing to ask him if he was prepared.

Jaxson, being used to dealing with his Captain's matchday insanity, nodded goodnaturedly with his rantings.

"Calm down, Dell," Alexander grumbled, rolling his eyes at the tiny blonde.

Adelaide pulled nervously at her gloves.

This was the first game she had played in ages, and the fact that Royan was acting like this was the Quidditch Cup already was not helping her relax.

She had owled her father yesterday about the upcoming match, and he had quickly replied with an enthusiastic letter, saying that she would do wonderful and not worry. But also not to get hurt because her mother would have a fit.

Adelaide always smiled at the letters she received from her parents, he father telling her the best ways to cause trouble without being caught, and her mother informing her that if they heard from Dumbledore that she had done something to get into trouble, she would never hear the end of it.

You would never know she was adopted because no one in her family ever treated her with anything less than adoration.

Luis and Phillip acted like the stereotypical annoying older brothers who knew everything, but they wouldn't hesitate to curse the living daylights out of anyone who dared to mess with her.

And Collier had sworn to be her protector the moment she arrived at the house, never trying to be better than her, only to be her equal in every sense of the word.

He would make sure to include her in his schemes and pranks; he always wanted her to be on his team when they played Quidditch with the other children in their village.

He was her biggest supporter, but he would be worse than a Dementor's Kiss if you so much as looked at Adelaide the wrong way.

Royan's voice announcing that it was time to take the pitch brought her out of her thoughts.

"Alright, team! Let's win this one for Ravenclaw!" Jaxson bellowed, pumping his fist in the air.

Alexander tightened the chest protector he wore and glanced up at Adelaide. "Ready, Birdie?"

She nodded and gave him a half-smile.

Della came over and slung an arm over her friend's shoulder. "This is going to be fun, Birdie, so just relax and pretend that you are playing with your brothers!"

"Right! So I should watch out for rampaging Bludgers!" Adelaide laughed, remembering the time Collier had hit one of the large balls at her, resulting in a broken arm.

"That really should be said for everyone today," Jaxson said, walking up behind her. "Listen, can we talk after the match?"

"Sure, is everything okay?" She asked, pulling at her long strawberry hair that hung over her shoulder in a braid.

"Everything is fine, not to worry. Be safe out there, yeah?" He said the last part with a serious look in his blue eyes.

Adelaide grinned up at him. "Same goes to you, Blaze."