Chapter 46

April 1978

Minerva McGonagall wished that she hadn't glanced at her calendar.

The day had started so well. That was until she noticed what the date was.

The most feared day of the school year for teachers at Hogwarts. April 1st.

McGonagall could only hope that the troublesome boys would be too preoccupied with the upcoming Hufflepuff vs. Gryffindor Quidditch match, set for later that same week, to pay attention to the calendar.

Her hopes were, of course, thrown out the window when the first prank of the day happened.

It was in Transfigurations, and she regretted getting out of bed that morning.

James and Sirius had slunk into class with smirks on their faces and schemes whispered back and forth.

In the middle of class, a snort and loud chuckles erupted from their shared desk.

Immediately after, a putrid smell flooded the classroom, and McGonagall sighed, shaking her head before shooting a sharp glare at the duo.

"Potter, Black!" She hollered.

The boys burst out laughing while everyone else in the room groaned and coughed as the Dungbomb's gas washed over them.

******

The next prank was in Charms class.

Peter was in charge of causing a distraction while James and Sirius prepared flying sparklers.

Remus simply rolled his eyes and went back to his homework.

Just as Professor Flitwick was demonstrating the Drought Charm, Peter bumped into Dianna O'Keller, and the poor girl accidentally said the wrong incantation causing her textbook to catch fire for the third time.

"Oh, dear! Miss O'Keller!" Flitwick screeched, rushing to her aid.

Sirius and James set off the sparklers, and they flew around the room in the shape of miniature phoenixes.

Everyone started yelling as the sparklers dive-bombed them. 

Flitwick tried his best to keep the room calm, but soon he was joining in the quest to extinguish the flaming pests.

Remus ducked down and held his textbook tight, grimacing as a piece of paper was set on fire.

Peter hid behind Remus.

James and Sirius were howling in fits of laughter.

Finally, Flitwick turned to them with a stern expression on his face. "Boys!" He yelled.

*****

In Muggle Studies, they made little toy cars chase after everyone.

Jaxson and Alexander thoroughly enjoyed this prank.

******

In Herbology, they hit the Bouncing Bulbs with the Engorgio charm, sending them bouncing around the greenhouse causing chaos.

Alice Fortescue was not amused.

******

Potions class was simply one large explosion.

Severus nearly committed a brutal murder. He was boiling with rage that the two numb skulls ruined his favorite part of the school day.

*****

By the end of the day, the Marauders had been awarded at least five detentions each.

Dumbledore wished he could have been surprised, but he wasn't.

And truth be told, he enjoyed the fun that came with the troublesome young Gryffindors.

He would miss them in the years after they graduated, though he did not doubt that the heirs of the Marauders would cause their fair share of trouble when their time came.

*****

"So, Peter is still with Filch?" Adelaide asked Della as they walked back to the Ravenclaw Tower.

"Yes, and I'm not surprised," The blonde girl sighed.

"I, for one, am proud of our dashing lions!" Alexander said, popping up behind them suddenly, startling his two best friends.

"Alexander! What have I told you about sneaking up on us?" Adelaide pouted.

The tall boy smirked at her, slinging his arms around both their shoulders as they continued walking.

"Um, not to do it?"

"Exactly."

"But Birdie! That's no fun!" He whined.

"Have I given you any indication at all that I care?" The strawberry-blonde asked, arching a brow at him.

"Ouch, my heart!" Alexander dramatically cried, clutching his chest.

Adelaide started giggling and Della groaned.

"You two are ridiculous!" She muttered.

"Aww! But you still love us, right?" Alexander pouted.

"Oh, shove off!" Della laughed, pushing him away.

Just as they were about to the stairs at the base of Ravenclaw Tower, an explosion of confetti hit them in the face.

"What in Merlin's pants!" Della growled, trying to wave the bits of colorful paper from her angry blue eyes.

Barks of laughter rang out from somewhere down the corridor.

Adelaide narrowed her eyes as a messy head of black hair peeked around the corner at them.

James stepped forward with a cheeky smile on his handsome face, Peter and Remus followed after him.

"Should have known you lot weren't finished just yet," Alexander said, grinning at his brunette Werewolf.

Remus shrugged as he approached. "It was James's idea. I am an innocent bystander dragged into the fray."

"Don't let him fool you! Moony here is a pranking genius!" James said, slapping his friend on the back with brotherly affection.

"I don't doubt it." Alexander's smirk was wolfish now, as he raked his gaze over Remus's tall figure in approval.

"Same with Wormtail! So try to go easy on him, Marcello -" James trailed off when he turned to see Della and Peter kissing as if their lives depended on it. "Well then."

Adelaide chuckled before grabbing hold of his tie and pulling him down to her.

"So, Potter. Besides getting into trouble, how's the day been?" She asked, making her voice sound sweet, and batting her lashes at him.

James gulped and widened his hazel eyes.

"Um, fine. Y-yeah, fine." He stuttered at her close proximity.

"Good," She whispered, leaning in a bit closer.

James could feel his heart hammering in his chest, unsure of what to do.

He couldn't move for fear of breaking the moment, and heaven forbid looking away from her pale blue eyes.

"You know what, James," Adelaide asked, nudging his nose with hers.

"What," He breathed, wishing he could kiss her.

Just as he was about to do so, she grinned and walked around him to the stairs.

"Happy April Fool's Day, James Potter!" She sang, prancing up the steps to the dorms above, leaving a stunned bespectacled boy in her wake.

Remus and Alexander, who had just witnessed this display, bearly held in their laughter.

"So," The blonde started, turning to face his adored. "Where is Sirius?"

Remus shrugged again. "Where else? Off bothering Wren."

"As expected." Alexander nodded along, before going back to watching James pick his jaw up off the floor.