Chapter 54

August 1978

Peter Pettigrew was many things, but he truly prided himself on being a scaredy-cat through and through. Especially in moments like these.

He didn't have sisters, and his mother was never interested in spending much time with him, so Peter was left virtually unprepared for this panic-inducing crisis.

The mousy-haired boy frantically scurried out of the kitchen of the Marcello household, arms laden with supplies, and ran up the long staircase to the third room on the left, pushing open the door and rushing in.

"I got a hot water bottle, a warm towel to put around it, some herb tea to help ease the pain, oh! And lots of chocolate! Remus says that chocolate is the best pain medicine!" Peter exclaimed, setting everything down on the side table, trying not to spill the tea.

Della was watching him with a bewildered look on her face from the comfort of her sunny window seat.

"Merlin's pants! You really made up a hot water bottle and tea for me?" She asked, slightly startled at how quickly he did everything. He was only gone for a few minutes.

"I just cast a warming charm and put in a teabag," Peter said, shrugging as though it was nothing special.

Della could feel her eyes begin to well with tears. "Oh, Peter! That is the kindest thing anyone could do!" She murmured, sniffling.

The young Marauder felt his face blush bright red. "If it helps you feel better, I would do anything for you, love."

Della couldn't control the tears after that.

"You are the most wonderful person in the world, and I love you, Peter Pettigrew!" She sobbed, smiling at him through her watery blue eyes.

Returning the smile, Peter moved to sit under the blanket, wrapping an arm around her shoulders to pull her close.

"No, I could try, but I would never be that. You are the most wonderful, beautiful, and amazing person in the world, and I love you, Della Marcello," Peter said softly into her hair as he held her.

"Even when I'm grumpy on my periods?" Della mumbled.

"Especially when you are grumpy and on your period." He chuckled, kissing her temple.

*********

Sirius Black was not a nervous person.

He was the humorous, sarcastic, slick-talking heartbreaker of the Marauders; he was never at a loss for words.

And yet, here he was, a bumbling mess, standing in front of the Gerrwick residence waiting for Wren to come out with a massive bundle of blood-red roses.

The couple had decided to use one of the last days before departing for Hogwarts as an impromptu date.

Nothing fancy, neither needed that. Just something simple and relaxing.

So, why was Sirius sweating like a Hungarian Horntail was chasing him?

The senior Gerrwicks were the cause of his anxiety. And the thought of meeting Wren's parents was about to send him to an early grave.

In all of Sirius's former "relationships", he'd never met his date's parents because he never saw the point, nor the reason to expand his personal life into another's.

He'd never thought of a girl in the romantic sense of wanting to hold her hand whenever he could or to be near her, to make him feel as though that small piece of his heart he felt missing was whole.

And then, a purple-eyed goddess hexed herself into his path, and Sirius's world was forever changed in the best way possible.

She not only made him better but made him want to be better.