Chapter 26

Professor Horace Slughorn was known for being an extremely nosey person. Especially when it came to his students.

The day young Severus Snape walked into the dungeon classroom, holding hands with lovely Lily Evans of Gryffindor House, the old man nearly squealed in joy.

Two of his favorite students being happy together warmed his heart.

But at that moment, on a gloomy November day, deep in the castle, the Potions Professor sat at his desk contemplating a couple of young people who could not seem to keep their eyes on their assignments.

James Potter, for all of his tomfoolery, was exceptionally bright when it came to his studies.

And Adelaide Harthwood was nearly as good at brewing a complex potion as Severus was.

A total of seven times, Slughorn had caught the Potter gazing dreamily to where Miss Harthwood was sitting with another Ravenclaw, a good-looking Sixth-year boy who kept whispering things to her.

Every once in a while she would smile at him and quietly respond.

The times her attention was focused on the Ravenclaw, Potter would send dark glares at the back of the boy's head.

Slughorn knew that look.

Jealousy, plain and simple.

A plan was slowly formulating in the old Wizard's mind as he waited for the final batch of Gryffindors to enter the dungeon and find their seats before class started, one that ended with two more of his students happily together.

Now ... how to go about it?

Perhaps he should pair them on an assignment, but then he would need to pair everyone else.

An idea suddenly popped into his thoughts, causing him to chuckle to himself.

"If I may have your attention, everyone?" Slughorn said as he stood from behind his desk. "Today, we shall be having a brewing competition!"

Several groans could be heard when he said this, but an equal amount of excited cheers countered them.

"I will pair you, and then we shall begin our work on a potion that you will learn about in preparation for your N.E.W.T's next year," Slughorn said, taking up a quill and parchment to write down a list of names. "Now let's see, ah yes, Miss Marcello and Mister Black, Mister Lark and Miss Cadwell, Mister Blaze and Mister Pettigrew."

Jaxson shot a sad look Adelaide's way before standing up. "I'll see you later, doll."

Nodding back to him, she waited for her name to be called.

"Mister Wood and Miss Evans, Mister Potter and Miss Harthwood -"

Adelaide's eyes widened, and her shoulders tensed. How was she supposed to get any work done if she had James Potter sitting next to her as a distraction?

James, in turn, was both thrilled and terrified to have time more or less alone with Harthwood.

Thrilled because the mere thought of being close to her sent an excited shiver up his spine, terrified because the notion that she would never look at him as anything other than a friend at best and an acquaintance at worst caused his heart to freeze over.

Awkwardly, James stood from his seat and began to walk towards Adelaide.

Taking a deep breath to try and calm her nerves, she pushed her long strawberry braid over her shoulder and stared straight ahead at the Professor, unwilling to look at the approaching Gryffindor just yet.