Chapter 53

July 1978

Adelaide nervously stared at the front gates of Potter Manor.

She had apparated to the green lawns of the property hidden a short way from Cairngorms, Scotland, expecting to find a house that exuded an air of the confidence that James always carried with him, but she had not expected to see this.

The manor was beautiful, made of pale gray stone, with dark green ivy climbing the walls and large arched windows.

The gardens surrounding the property were overflowing with lush flowers of red, pink, yellow, and many other vibrant colors that left Adelaide awed.

Enormous weeping willow trees lined the gravel path that threaded through the gardens to the beautifully carved wooden doors at the front of the manor.

Adelaide felt as though she was looking at a fairy-tale castle.

"This is where James LIVES?" She couldn't come to terms with this.

Stepping up to the gate, she reached out to touch it, wondering if they were locked and if she needed to call for James.

As if sensing her presence, the front doors swung open, and her raven-haired Gryffindor ran clumsily down the path to her.

"Ada!" James shouted, waving his arms frantically.

Adelaide giggled as she watched him near the gate.

"'Ello, love! Sorry 'bout the gate, forgot to open them before you arrived!" James said in a rush.

"Don't worry. I haven't been waiting long. I was looking at everything!" Adelaide reassured him.

Taking out his mahogany wand, James undid the wards surrounding the manor, unlocked the large iron gate, and opened it for her to enter the Potter grounds.

"Yeah? Well, this is home. What do you think?" He asked bashfully, rubbing a hand along the back of his neck.

"Oh, James, your home is beautiful! I didn't know you lived in such a place!" Adelaide exclaimed.

The bespectacled boy could feel his face heat with a deep red blush.

"I'm glad you think so," He murmured, smiling at his feet.

Adelaide giggled at his reaction before gently taking hold of his hand. "I would think your home was beautiful no matter where you lived, James!"

Smiling at each other, they began walking toward the house.

As the couple neared the front doors, they flew open again, only this time, an older woman stood on the threshold.

She had dark-brown hair littered with streaks of gray in a tight bun, small glasses perched on her nose and a beaming smile pointed at them.

"Welcome! You must be the miss Harthwood my son is so smitten with!" Euphemia Potter said once they reached the steps.

James winced. "Mum!"

Adelaide smirked at him before turning to his mother. "I do hope so."

"Wonderful! Come in, come in!" Euphemia ushered them inside the manor. "We are thrilled to meet you, dear!"

"Indeed we are! It's about time our boy wised up and did something instead of moping around and pinning!" A loud voice boomed from the room they had entered.

A tall man who looked like an older version of James stood smiling in the middle of a cozy living room area.

"Dad!" James hissed while his face flushed again in embarrassment.