Chapter 34

Adelaide and Collier apparated in front of the two-story snow-covered cottage the Harthwood family called home.

The strawberry-haired girl took a deep breath of the frosty air of Carnach and sighed. Home. She was home.

"Well, come on! Everyone will want to see you, love!" Colli said, pushing her lightly towards the door only for it to be thrown open and a tall man to come bursting out with a broad grin on his handsome face.

"Ah! My little Birdie!" Fletcher Harthwood said, holding his arms wide to receive his daughter in a hug.

"Papa!" Adelaide beamed, rushing to embrace her father.

Pulling away, Fletcher smiled at his children and beckoned them to follow him inside the cottage.

"Your mother has been going crackers fixing lunch! She's been up since first light!" The older Wizard chuckled.

Walking into the living room, they could all hear Viomet bustling around the kitchen, muttering charms and spells to the stove and the different bowls that were floating in the air with whisks working batters for the busy Witch.

Adelaide giggled as she watched her mother argue with the saucepan of Moonberry jam that sat bubbling on the burner.

"Maman, la confiture ne repondra pas!" She said, moving towards the tiny brunette woman.

Viomet spun around quickly to face her with a bright smile. "Adelaide! Mon Cheri! Tu es Enfin chez toi!"

With surprising strength for a woman her size, Viomet pulled her daughter into a bone-crushing embrace.

"Omet, let her breath!" Fletcher chuckled, shaking his head as he started off to the fireplace in the living room.

"Oh, Birdie! I am so happy to see you," Viomet said in a teary voice, her blue brown eyes shining with joy.

"Boys! Come down; your sister is home!" They could hear Fletcher shouting to the other Harthwood siblings.

Twin footsteps crashed down the flight of stairs as Phillip and Luis hurried to greet the newcomer.

"Birdie!"

"Pie!"

The boys shouted in unison, Luis's use of the French name for a Magpie bringing back childhood memories.

"Hi, Lu! Phil! How have to both been?" Adelaide laughed as they scooped her into their arms and hugged her fiercely.

"Fine, love, just got here yesterday from Brazil!" Phillip chattered, letting her go.

"I got here a day before this git, straight from the States!" Luis said, keeping an arm around her shoulders.

"Yep, and I've still got to deal with these bumbling baboons for another week and a half!" Fletcher sighed dramatically.

"Oi!" Colli chided, a pout on his face.

Before anyone could install more of an argument, Viomet clapped her hands loudly to get their attention.

"Chut, Vous tous! La nourriture va refroidir! Come into the kitchen this moment!" She barked, breaking in and out of languages.

"Yes, Maman." Came the collective reply as they all shuffled to their seats.

Collier grinned as he sat down, tucking a napkin into his shirt collar.

Adelaide rolled her eyes at her brother, but couldn't stop a grin of her own from popping onto her face.