Daddy Issues.

This chapter is dedicated to -RubyDupencheng- thanks for your support 💜

* * *

"Now son, I'm waiting for an explanation as to why you're all over the news... Again." Mr Bennett asks while calmly pouring vodka into his glass cup.

On the outside, he looked rather calm and undisturbed by the current situation of things, but Zane knew better. This, was just a delay tactic, the calm before the storm which included breaking things and yelling, a scenario he was more than familiar with.

"It's nothing serious dad, the media is just exaggerating things as usual, you know how they are." Zane says feigning indifference.

All he really wanted to do, was run for the hills and never come back.

"Nothing." Mr Bennett repeats, taking a big sip from his glass.

"It was nothing, and yet the chief of police had to calm me from a very important meeting because my son was involved In attempted murder?" He adds, eerily calm.

"Attempted murder? Oh come on dad, it was a joke and..." Zane doesn't finish, as he barely dodges the glass being hurled at him by his father.

"Bloody hell." He breathes as the glass shatters behind him.

"A joke?!" His father bellows. "You call an attempted murder charge a joke?! It would've been funny if it wasn't my name on the line! Do you know how this will affect my company? Do you have any idea how much your little joke will cost me?!" He yells in rage and frustration at his son's idiocy.

"This isn't my fault anyways dad, it wouldn't have gotten this bad if not for Darren! He was the one that snitched and should be the one you're mad at!" Zane yells back in defence.

"Oh really Zane, it was Darren's idea to leave Lewis out there all by himself? It was also Darren they drove the motorboat all the way to the dock, while you were begging him to go back, isn't that right Zane?!" Mr Bennett yells back accusingly.

"That's not the point dad!" Zane retorts, getting up from his chair, and running his hand through his hair anxiously.

"Then what, pray tell, is the point Zane? Because I'm trying really hard to wrap my head around what could've possessed you to do something like that. It's alright when you want to play your childish games at school, but that should be it. Why go as far as to mess with someone's life?!" Mr Bennett says in a hard tone. They were now standing face to face.

"Lewis would've been fine dad, we were very close to the island when I left him. Nothing bad would've happened if he had just swam there, instead of acting like a little wimp and causing a f-king scene!" Zane seethes.

"Are you even listening to yourself? You're blaming everybody else but you! This is the reality Zane. You left Lewis stranded in the middle of the ocean, without any help, knowing full well he would get hurt. You ignored Darren's pleas to go back for him, all in an effort to get revenge over something that was your fault in the first place!" Mr Bennett says, looking Zane dead in the eye.

Zane doesn't speak a word, as his father's words sink in.

Mr Bennett takes a few deep and calming breaths. He turns and goes to get another glass of vodka, takes a long swig, and let's the alcohol settle before facing his idiot of a son.

"Now, Zane, this is where I draw the line. I will do my part as a father and provide you with the legal assistance you need, but that is it. You will face the repercussions of your actions, and maybe, just maybe you'll learn to grow up!" Mr Bennett says with finality, and walks out of the room slamming the door behind him.