New Waves

Emma steps out of school about an hour, thirty minutes after school has ended. She just had a very long and draining discussion with the principal and the swimming coach, which sure put her in a more shitty mood than she already was.

She can't believe she just quit the swim team. The thought alone made her heart clench painfully in her chest. She had always loved swimming ever since she learnt how to walk. Spending time in the water was more than a hobby. It was a way of life, and now she had to give it all up because she'd become a freak.

Emma had joined the swim team when she was just a sophomore in junior year. She was the reason the school won a lot of championships- both state and international - and she had been the swim captain since 10th grade. It was safe to say swimming was her life. But now it was nothing but a record.

It would have been a lot easier to quit if she had had an accident and probably broke a leg or two, at least her reasons for quitting would be cogent, and very plausible. But now quitting made her look selfish, as the coach had so rightfully put it. What was she to do. She couldn't exactly tell them she was quitting because Everytime she got wet, she grew a 5ft long fish tail with fins and everything. She had a strong feeling that explanation wouldn't sit well with any sane person. Something she was fearing she no longer was.

What hurt her the most tho, was the fact that her team mates will be left to fend for themselves at the state championships. She tried hard not to think that way, because it will only make her feel worse. Without her, they may never make it to Nationals, but, it was better this way, and she jumped at hopes that eventually, they'd forgive her... Eventually.

Maybe, just maybe, she could solve this whole mermaid crap in time to join the swim team again for Nationals. This whole thing could not be permanent, the universe wasn't that cruel. If it was, then there went her Ivy league dreams. Breaking the news to her parents was not going to be an easy feature.

As Emma gets to the parking lot, she sees the last person she wants to see right now, or ever. 

Rikki is getting on her bicycle to go, when she sees Emma, from the look on her face, she can tell she isn't happy. Whatever her reason was for being at school this late was non of her concern, and plus, she is too tired for a confrontation. With that thought, she rides off without a backward glance.

Emma isn't sure whether to angry or happy, that Rikki had practically ignored her. She couldn't think long of it as her phone begins to ring. The screen flashes Cleo's name, and so she picks.

" Emma are you still at school? " Cleo asks a sounding a little out of breath.

" Yeah.. I am. Are you ok Cleo? " Emma asks worried.

" We need to talk right away. Bring Rikki and meet on the beach by the rocks, I'll explain there " Cleo says and hangs up before Emma can protest.

" Great, now I have to follow the bitch " Emma says to herself, as she gets on her bicycle, and rides after Rikki...

#  # # #

Filler chapter! Don't worry there is more enjoy! 😁