The Island (part 1)

It's a bright and sunny day in Aqua Grove. Perfect for a walk, a swim, or a prank.
  Zane Bennett is at the dock with his motor boat trying to get it to work. It's quite difficult because he can't find the spark plug,  and without it,  the motor boat is as good as useless. He is there with his best friend Nathan Hale.
Just as he is about to give up, he spots Cleo Setori, the most naive teenage girl you'll ever meet, and an idea pops in his head - a very devious one - he gives Nate a knowing look and then calls out to her.

" hey Cleo, can you come over here, I could use your help"

Cleo is very surprised by this because Zane just so happens to be one of the most popular boys at their school. He was rich, good looking... That was about it. ' Beauty no Brains ' is what he is called, and for good reason, as he never had an above average grade in any subject and was one of the lowest ranked in academics in the whole school followed closely by his friend Nate.

Zane has never talked to Cleo before, in fact, she was surprised he even knew her name.

" are you talking to me? " she asks bewildered.

" yes, that Cleo. I don't see anyone else around with the same name, " he says condescendingly.

" dumbass " Nate whispers so that only Zane can hear and they both smirk.

Cleo approaches cautiously still feeling flustered by the fact that Zane Bennett was even talking to her.

She was worried because Zane wasn't exactly a good person. He was always getting in trouble, whether it was pulling pranks, cussing out at teachers, skipping school, let's not forget his infamous sexcapades around school. She was almost certain that last one was just a rumor but then again, everything went with Zane Bennett. He was a certified bad boy,  and every one with a brain knew to stay away from him.

But, Cleo being Cleo decided to help him despite all the warning signals going off in her head, telling her to go the other way and never look back.
The smile he was giving her didn't help matters.

" what do you need my help for? " she asks nervously.

" I need you to help bring that rope over there. " he points inside the boat to the far end.

Nate had been quiet this whole time only snickering under his breath.

Cleo looks in the boat and sees the rope. She wants to ask why Nate couldn't get the rope instead, but thought better of it. The sooner she got it, the sooner she'd get out of there unharmed... Hopefully.

When she gets on the boat however, it's not that easy because the rope is conveniently stuck,  and she has to tug on it to get it free.

While she's doing that, Zane is untying the boat from the dock.

" I couldn't seem to get the boat to work. " he says casually.

Cleo doesn't suspect anything.

" why? " she asks, very focused on her task.

" didn't find the spark plug, " he answers.

" does it work without one? " she still hasn't turned around.

" no. No spark plug, no spark. " he says nonchalantly.

Cleo finally frees the rope, but it's too late. Zane has already pushed the boat and it was drifting out on to sea.

" Zane! " Cleo calls out. " Zane this isn't funny! Why me?! "

" because you're here Cleo! " he calls back cheerily and high fives Nate.

" dumbass! " Nate shouts out.

Cleo really wouldn't have been terrified of this scenario, if not for one crucial fact. She had a phobia for water and couldn't swim for the life of her.

She was on the verge of tears, when suddenly, out of nowhere, a girl jumps into the boat. She was a beautiful girl with  blonde curly hair, and a Don't Mess With Me vibe. Cleo was stunned and kept staring at her.

" are you okay? " she asks.

Cleo only nods in response.

The girl then takes a seat in the drivers side with her hands on the steering wheel.

This snaps Cleo from her daze.

" um, I'm sorry to interrupt your rescue mission, but we're just floating out to sea. The boat won't start cause there's no... "

She trails off when the girl holds up the object that had been the cause of this entire fiasco.

" ... Spark plug " she finishes. " where did you get that? " Cleo asks.

Then girl fixes the spark plug and starts the motor boat.

" I swiped it off the asshats boat when he wasn't there.  I figured I'd give him a taste of his own medicine. " she shrugs as if it's no big deal.

Cleo stares at her in admiration " that's pretty badass " she says taking a seat beside her.

" thanks.  My name is Rikki " the girl says smiling.

" I'm Cleo " Cleo responds.

" well sit tight and relax Cleo, this is going to be fun " Rikki says then drives off towards the dock.

Zane and Nate are standing there with their mouths open at the sight of Rikki.

As she gets closer to the dock, she immediately turns around causing a lot of water to splash on Zane and Nate.

" take that you asshats! " she yells.

Cleo can't help but laugh at her offensive word.

Rikki then continues to drive of to sea with a big smile on her face.

" wanna go out to sea? " she asks.

" sure " Cleo responds.

*        *        *         *      *      *    *          *

A couple miles up the dock, Emma is just returning from a swimming class. She sees her friend Cleo in a vaguely familiar boat with a random girl she's never seen before. She stops and calls out to them.

" hey! What are you guys up to! "

They come to a stop beside her.

" going for a ride " Cleo answers smiling.

" wanna come,  it'll be fun." Rikki adds

" are you licenced? " Emma asks with her eyebrows raised.

" are you my mother? " Rikki responds sassily.

Emma wasn't at all thrilled with the idea, but she figured it'd be nice to go for a ride. Plus,  she couldn't leave them unsupervised. She had a feeling they'd be needing her quite soon.

She gets on the boat. " so, where are we going? " she asks.

" anywhere the tides guide us " Rikki responds in a carefree manner that was beginning to annoy Emma.

" isn't that dangerous? " she asks.

" chill out " Rikki answers smiling.

Emma had a feeling this little ' adventure ' was going to come back and bite them in the ass.

If only she knew...

--------

That's chapter 1 done!

I hope y'all noticed the adjustments made to the dialogue, I'm trying to make the book a bit more mature. But don't worry its pg13, so don't expect any strong language and dirty scenes.

Please remember to vote and comment, I'd really love your thoughts on this.

Luwiza out ✌