Darren's Deal.

*********

life was truly funny sometimes, and for Darren, its sense of humor had always been dark. As a boy, he'd often wondered what he would turn out to be when he was all grown up and ready to take on the world. He'd seen himself as a lawyer, an astronaut, a doctor, even a soldier if everything else went to shit, but not once did he see himself as a crook being sent to do all of the dirty work for the most despicable crime lord in all of Australia and some other parts of the world- his father. Looking back now, he could see how naïve he had been to assume that he would be anything other than what he was now, a hardened criminal, to some extent at least.

In all honesty he couldn't remember an instance when his father was a father to him or even his little sister Angela, he'd always been aloof, never around and cold. he'd never seen him smile genuinely once in his life and Darren was completely sure that he'd have better luck catching a mermaid than see his father do anything remotely humane or selfless. any outsider would think Darren had it all and that he was as free as a bird living life however he pleased, they would be shocked to find how far from the truth that was. he wasn't free, if he was, he would have taken his sister and Mirabelle far away to a place where his father couldn't get to them, but things weren't that easy and he knew that he was in too deep to turn back now.

Darren sighs and drags his hands down his face in frustration, his hair looked disheveled, and the bags under his eye were an indication of the lack of sleep he'd had for the past two days. as usual, his not getting any sleep was not by choice but also his own fault for agreeing to do this in the first place. no matter, there was no going back now, as this was the only way he could keep Mirabelle safe from the wrath of his father.

Flashback.

Darren takes a deep breath to calm his nerves and the anger that was rolling off of him in waves. he was drenched from the pouring rain outside, but that didn't matter to him. this was more important, Mirabelle was more important, and he didn't mind going to the depths of hell and beyond if it would guarantee her safety.

After a few moments, he feels calm enough to knock on the door. he knocks three times and waits as patiently as possible for a response from the other end. a long minute later, and an answer comes through.

"come in." His father's rough voice says.

Darren wastes no time in going into the dimly lit office. His father was alone sitting at his large mahogany table with a cigarette in hand and his long legs stretched on the table as he reclined in the chair. He looked like a man who didn't have a care in the world, and the sickest part was, he didn't.

"To what do I owe this untimely visit?" He asks nonchalantly as Darren comes to stand in front of his table, his face set in stone.

"I want you to leave Mirabelle alone. She has nothing to do with this and so there is no reason to hurt her." Darren states swiftly in a hard time, his gaze cold.

Mr. Lockwood chuckles darkly, and even in the dim lit room you could see the mischief and evil in his eyes.

"And what if I don't, I must say that I'm beginning to have more interest in her seeing as you're awfully protective of her. You even have the guts to barge into my presence unannounced, fully aware of the consequences of this sole action. It makes me wanna have more fun with her just to see how far I can rile you up."  He says sadistically as he takes a swig from his cigarette.

Darren's fist ball up till they're turning red. His left eye twitches as he fights the powerful urge to beat the shit out of this devil in front of him, but he restrains himself.