A Deep Mystery.

***
The next day, Mirabelle lays staring blankly at the ceiling in the wee hours of the morning, at 4:05am, to be exact. She stared in a trance at the collage of all her favourite K-pop group logos as they glowed in soft neon and illuminated the dark room with an array of colours.

As she stared tho, her mind was far away and all the way back in Mako island. They'd returned from Mako around 7 in the evening, and each one had hurried off to their houses because of their curfews and for fear of incurring the wrath of their respective parents. Although Mirabelle had no such qualms, she knew she couldn't keep them and talk like she so desperately wanted to do, as the events of that day were giving her a serious migraine.

On getting to bed, however, she couldn't sleep. Try as she did, it was futile as all she could see was Darren's face on Mako, every time she closed her eyes. A part of her was shocked and bewildered to have seen him on the island, looking the way he did and with all those people, while another part of her was worried about him. They'd left him on the island, at the mercy of whatever was out there and in that facility, and all she wanted to do was go back and make sure that he got out okay. Afterwards, she could investigate his connection to Mako and figure out why he was there in the first place.

Mirabelle takes a deep breath and rubs her temples exhausted. Her eyes were stinging, a tell tale sign that she needed to sleep, but at this moment, she simply didn't care. What she needed was a glass of water. With that thought, she climbs out of her bed and puts on her Tiny Tan fuzzy slippers before strolling out of her room. The house was dim and bright enough that she could make her way downstairs without bumping into anything.

As she turned on the tap and filled her glass, she watched the water rise, and once again, her mind was back in Mako. Was Darren okay? Would he be home by now? Would he be in school on Monday? These questions kept plaguing her mind, and she almost lost sight of the water as it reached the brim of the cup. She puts a straw in and sips it while staring at the half moon in the night sky. She closes her eyes and sighs as she remembers yet another thing that she and the others should be concerned about - the full moon. It was very close now, and she was yet to tell them about the effect it had on mermaids, at least, the effect it'd been having on her consistently over the years. They needed to know so they could be better prepared for it much like she wished she had been that time...

Mirabelle walks out of the kitchen and begins to head out into the living room when she hears the loud whispers of her parents as they came out of their lab that no one was allowed into, especially her. She quickly hides as her parents continue their banter, unaware of her presence.

"No, Anthony, that's out of the question. You and I know she's not ready yet." Her mother says to her father with finality.

"Yes, she is. For heaven's sake, she'll turn seventeen soon, and we can't keep this from her much longer, especially considering what's at stake here." Her father pleads, sounding desperate.

They were now standing at the foot of the stairs, facing each other with serious intent. Mirabelle could only watch as she had no swimming idea what they were talking about, but somehow, she knew it was about her. For the life of her, she had never understood her parents, as they'd made it their mission to be perfectly absent from her life. She wasn't complaining as she'd gotten used to it, but that didn't mean it didn't hurt to know that your own parents valued their jobs over you. In her mind, this is how things would always be as too much had happened that damaged their relationship up until this point, and ninety-nine percent of that was her fault. It pained her to admit it, but that was the truth. She'd broken her family and hadn't the faintest idea how she was going to begin fixing it. Before she could try, though, they had to be home and actually make physical contact with her, and let's just say, the chances were pretty minute.