Mirabelle.

Mirabelle scrutinized her choice of outfit, as she stood in front of her wall length mirror, in her walk-in closet. Normally, she wouldn't have cared much about how she looked to school, which was why she always opted for sweatpants and an oversized hoodie. Anything to keep her inconspicuous. But today was different. Today she was going to speak to them. The other mermaids at school, and she wanted to, no, needed to make a good first impression.

This was a huge deal for her. For years she'd believed she was the only mermaid in existence. She'd always wondered if there were others like her, and done some pretty bad things in an effort to find more like her, but to no avail. Now that she knew she wasn't the only one, she wasn't going to let this opportunity go to waste.

Since she was a little girl, she'd always felt out of place. That feeling only escalated when she became a mermaid at 8 years old. She could remember the day like it was yesterday.

* Her dad and mom owned a company that specialized in tech and medicine. So, naturally, that meant that they were both geniuses that were obsessed with anything and everything science. One day, her dad had come home excited about an extremely rare blue moon that was going to happen. The moon only appeared once every 500 years and her dad wanted to get front row seats to see it. The thing was, in order to get close enough to it, they had to go to an island where the moon was said to rest above for a couple of minutes.

She was very young at the time, but she could still remember her dad saying something about how the moon would mess with the Earth's electro magnetic field because of its own stronger electro magnetic force. He said something special was bound to happen, and he would be the first to discover and publicize it, adding to his and mom's Fame in the science world.

In no time, they and some of her parents employees, were on their private jet headed to an island called Mako. While her parents were setting up their gear, she had wandered off exploring, and was awed by the jungle she was in. Somehow, she'd come across a little bit buried deep in the jungle. The lights were on, so she was guessing someone was inside. She was quite hungry and so she went into the hut.

What she'd found inside, was something she'd never want to see again. She'd been so terrified, that she ran out of the hut, not daring to look back, and by the time she'd stopped running, it was completely dark, and she was completely lost. Trying to retrace her steps back to her parents camp, she fell into a hole in the ground, and ended up in a very mysterious cave. In the cave, she stumbled upon a beautiful blue pool and she couldn't help but want to swim. She jumped in fully dressed and swam around a little. A little while later, and the blue moon appeared just above the pool. It was so beautiful that she was completely mesmerized by it. She felt it, before she saw it. A surge of electricity ran right through her, and she felt her whole body come alive. The moon seemed to grow brighter and brighter, until everything went dark.

She still can't remember what happened afterwards, or how in the world she got out of the water, but when she woke up, she was in the hospital. Her parents had told her that she was found floating along the shore because she had apparently drowned. They were sure she was dead but somehow she recovered, it was a miracle to them, but she knew better.

Something happened to her in the cave, she wasn't sure what or how, but she knew something had changed. Her suspicions had been confirmed when they'd returned home to England the very next day. Her parents were keeping a close eye on her for any signs of post traumatic effects. They too suspected something was different about their child.

That night, when she'd gone to take a bath however, she had made a life changing discovery. The moment she came in physical contact with water, her feet transformed into a fish tail. She could still remember 8 year old her feeling terrified, fascinated, and happy at the same time. Her tail was sky blue with a few white horizontal strokes scattered around it. Her hair had light blue highlights in it.

That wasn't the only thing that changed. She soon found that she had the ability to manipulate electricity. She could draw it out and discharge it as well. Her ability was amplified around water, or when water was involved. *

Mirabelle knew she had to this a secret from everyone, especially her parents. She may have been little, but she was in no way naive enough to believe her parents would help or understand her. The only thing she'd become was an experiment, and she wasn't going to live like that.

It was really hard to control her abilities as a child. She found that they were tied to her emotions. The stronger she felt an emotion, especially anger, the more powerful and out of control she was. She had unintentionally hurt people in the past because she couldn't reign in her emotions on time. Of course, no one could tie it to her, most just believed it was a spontaneous combustion of an appliance, or the weather. Out of fear of hurting any more people accidentally or otherwise, she had detached herself from the people around her. The less she felt the better. This caused her school teachers to worry about her mental health and suggest therapy to her parents. Her relationship with her parents had already plummeted until they were nothing but strangers in the house.

Seeing that there was no progress from the therapy sessions, her parents decided that a change of pace and environment would be better. They moved their lives to Aquagrove when she was fourteen.

She was thankful for the change of scenery, it made her more relaxed. Aquagrove was nice and quiet, and everyone kept to themselves. The best part, was that it was close to the ocean and so she could swim anytime she wanted. The change of environment did nothing to improve her relationship with her parents, if anything it only got  worse. They were never at home, and the house, more like mansion, was big enough for them to have minimal contact as possible.

Coming to a new school was the major challenge for Mirabelle. She didn't do well with people her age, and a whole building full of them was not exactly reassuring. She did her best to attract as little attention as possible and be almost invisible. It worked most of the time, because no one even bothered to acknowledge her, except a certain someone, whom she'd rather not talk about, had made it his life's duty to make hers a living nightmare. Today, however, she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of ruining her day. She had bigger fish to fry- pun intended.

Looking at her wrist watch, it was already 8:00am. She looks at the mirror one last time, and feeling pleased with her outfit choice which consisted of high waist denim shorts, a blue fitted long sleeve polo shirt, a black snapback with the word GUCCI written on it, and a pair of white puma converses, she walks out of her closet and picks her backpack from her bed. With a snap of her fingers she dims the lights in her room, and closes the door behind her. Today was going to be interesting, and she couldn't have been more excited.

Getting out of the house, her bicycle has already been parked at the front of the house by the butler no less. She would have taken her Audi, but she didn't want that kind of attention, her limited edition BMX bike will have to do.

# # # #

Introducing to you Mirabelle, our new mermaid 😁

This chapter was only a filler, so you all could have insight to my own original character, and the origin of her powers. Her abilities are more complex and unique in comparison with the others.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not much of science person, and I have little to no knowledge about genetic mutation and the likes, so many of what I'll be referencing from will be movies and Google. So to all science gurus reading this, please don't hate on the inaccuracy or whatever, after all, the book is purely fictitious. Just read for the fun of it.. that is the point of the story.

Please Vote and Comment.

Song Suggestion: Ice Cream by Blackpink and Selena Gomez 🍦🍧

Also, please check out my other book HIS GUARDIAN, I'd really appreciate your support. Check my profile for it and please follow me, I'll follow back ☺️

Thank you

Till next time

Luwiza out ✌️