The Pool Party (3)

Emma and Rikki are resting on some rocks in mermaid form, after almost three hours of swimming around the reefs. It is about 6:25 in the evening.

" Tell me this isn't a million times better than swimming with legs " Rikki says.

" It's not that bad I guess..." Emma says quietly, looking at her tail, and wiggling it a bit.

" Not that bad? Emma this is friggin amazing! We can breathe underwater, got these amazing powers, we can pretty much swim all the way to Fiji! Can you imagine that?! I don't know about you, but I'm loving this mermaid life and I'm not giving it up for shit " Rikki says smiling.

" I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong. This is amazing. But it doesn't change the fact that it cost me something I may never get back, and it's gonna take some getting used to that's all " Emma responds solemnly.

" Believe it or not, but I understand you. You worked your damn hardest to get the captaincy, and your social status and lost it all in one night, just like that. It's not an easy thing to deal with, but you atleast have to realize that got something greater than it. You've got a gift that I'm sure many girls out there would kill to have, and the more you complain about it, the harder it'll be for you to see the bigger picture. You'll never be happy, if you dwell on your losses... I believe it's better to count your gains, that way you'll be content, and your life will be worthwhile. " Rikki finishes, staring at her tail. It was almost as if she was saying this more to herself than Emma.

" Wow..." Emma breathes, her eyes wide in awe

" What? " Rikki asks, a small smile playing on her lips.

" It's nothing. I just didn't think that you of all people, could be so sensitive towards others..." Emma explains

" Really... " Rikki says an eyebrow raised sassily

" Don't get me wrong, but you just struck me as someone who didn't give a shit about or anything. This thoughtful side of you is quite shocking honestly. " Emma finishes smiling teasingly.

" Well, that's just me, I'm full of surprises. " Rikki says and they both laugh.

They fall into a comfortable silence.

" Emma, is that you? " A voice says from a distance.

" Lewis? " Emma responds shock evident on her face.

He is standing behind a huge rock, so he can't see them completely.

" Shit " Rikki curses under her breath.

Lewis is standing there, fishing gear in hand, and staring at them in confusion " what are you both doing here? " He asks.

" We thought we'd go for a swim... It's nice out. " Emma responds with a breathy forced laugh.

" Aren't you supposed to be at the party? " Rikki asks in an attempt to diver the conversation from them to him.

" The party started at 6:00 and I'm not in any hurry. I thought I'd get some fishing done, but since you guys are here..." He drops the gear and begins to unbutton his shirt "... I might as well join you for that swim eh " he adds.

" NO!!! " They both yell, their eyes wide in panic.

He stops and stares at them, his brows drawn together in confusion.

" Why not? " He asks cautiously.

" Um... Because... Because..." Emma begins stuttering.

" Because Cleo is at the party " Rikki pipes in

Lewis eyes widen in realisation. " Oh shit. I forgot, she told me she was gonna be there today after school.

" Yeah, and you don't want to disappoint her now do you Lewis? " Rikki asks knowingly.