Regrets & Reflections

Emma sits in her bathtub just looking at her tail. To say she felt really bad for what she'd said to Rikki, would have been an understatement. Shitty was the right way to describe how she was feeling. Lord knows she didn't mean any of it.

In the few days she'd known Rikki, she could already tell that she was a down to earth person who always liked to keep it real. When it came to Rikki, what you see is what you get. She'd never hesitate to tell you what she thinks, wether you wanted to hear it or not, and as annoying as that was, it was honestly refreshing. It was way better than being around suck ups, who would only tell you what you wanted to hear in order to gain something from you. It was draining.

Before Rikki, Cleo was the only real friend she had, and because Cleo wasn't as ambitious or mischievous as the rest of her so-called friends, it was easy for her to trust her, and always count on her no matter what. Despite how carefree Rikki seemed to be, Emma knew she was a reliable person, and a good judge of character.

Emma rubs her eyes, and flops her tail around a little. She knew she had to apologise, not just to Rikki, but to Mirabelle as well. She didn't mean to come off as snobby or controlling, it was just that things were changing so fast, and it was hard for her to keep up. She hadn't even come to terms with the fact that she was a mermaid, and to now find out there were more out there was too much for her.

Rikki was right tho, no one was asking her to be besties with Mirabelle, just to keep an open mind about it. It's not like Mirabelle asked to be a mermaid, much like the rest of them, and she'd even had it harder. Emma could only imagine how frightening it must have been for Mirabelle to go through that at such a young age, and all by herself no less, it was sad. Now that Emma wasn't in shock or angry, she could see it clearly. Mirabelle had been alone this whole time, whereas she, had Rikki, Cleo, and even Lewis to get through this ordeal.

She could remember Lewis mentioning that Mirabelle liked to keep to herself, and stay hidden. Could her being a mermaid have been the reason? She was probably scared of her secret getting out, and thought the best way to avoid that from happening, was to isolate herself from other people, and basically become antisocial. This Revelation makes Emma feel even more guilty. Mirabelle wasn't the problem, it was just her bitchy guarded self that liked to complicate things around her, and make her hurt those she cared about. Emma takes a deep breath, and sinks deeper into the water, until she's fully submerged. One thing was certain, she had a lot of apologizing to do tommorow.

* * *

Lewis noticed something wasn't right, when he saw Cleo arrive at school on her own. She was usually with Emma, and as of recently, Rikki too. To further confirm his suspicion, she has a forced smile on her face as she approaches him.

" Good morning " Cleo greets solemnly.

" Good morning? Is everything okay Clay, where's the gang? " He asks concerned.

" You noticed huh.. " Cleo responds as they get to her locker, she opens it.

" Of course I did. You and Emma have been tied to the hip since you were in diapers, and now because of recent developments, Rikki is part of the cold. " He explains as he watches Cleo put her books in her locker, absent mindedly.

She doesn't respond.

" Hey.. " Lewis tries to get her attention.

" Hey Cleo, what's happened, are you okay? " He asks stopping her actions and turning her to face him.

Cleo blinks " No, everything's not okay. Emma and Rikki got into a huge fight yesterday, and I think they're no longer friends. " She answers with a sigh and rubs her temples in exhaustion.

This was seriously taking a lot of mental strength on her part, and she was starting to loose patience with both parties involved.

" What was the fight about? " Lewis asks concerned.

Cleo goes to answer but then she sees Mirabelle come in through the doors, she looked nervous and scared.

Cleo looks back to Lewis, to find him also staring at Mirabelle as she gets to her locker, her eyes darting from side to side.

" What's up with Mirabelle, she looks.. kinda sad? " Lewis states, unsure of how to classify the look on Mirabelle's face.

" Listen Lewis, I have to go. I'll talk to you later okay? " Cleo says as she shuts her locker and walks toward Mirabelle before Lewis could object.

Mirabelle hears footsteps approaching her and looks up to see Cleo. She visibly relaxes, so thankful that it wasn't Darren. She manages a small smile as Cleo stands in front of her.

" Hey Mirabelle, how are you? " Cleo asks, her eyebrows furrowed in concern.

" Um, I'm fine... I guess.. it's just... I'm really sorry about what happened yesterday. I just wanted to finally make friends and fit in somewhere, but I guess I'm bad at it. " Mirabelle answers with a dry laugh at the end.

" Hey, you're not bad at it, and it's not your fault okay, Emma.. she's just.. very territorial is all. But don't worry she'll come around, and until then, just know you've got me and I'm gonna be your friend. " Cleo says reassuringly.

" Thanks Cleo, you have no idea how much this means to me. What happened after I left anyway? " Mirabelle asks as she closes her locker, and slowly make their way to their various classes.

" Well, Rikki and Emma didn't see eye to eye of course, and they had a huge argument... " Mirabelle cuts her off.

" Argument? I hope it wasn't because of me " she says slightly panicking.

" Well, it was sorta.. because of you. But then again, Rikki and Emma have never really seen eye to eye on a lot of things. So, they both got angry, things were said, and now, I'm a hundred percent sure they are no longer on talking terms. " Cleo finishes with a sigh.

" Crap. What are we going to do? We can't just let them stay mad at each other because of me. I don't even care if Emma doesn't accept me, she can't just can't push Rikki away like that " Mirabelle says, almost perspiring.

Cleo, seeing the distress on her face, immediately tries to soothe her.

" It's okay Mirabelle, they'll both be fine, they just need time to get over it, everything will be back to normal before you know it " she says with a reassuring smile, and a hand on mirabelle's shoulder.

Mirabelle takes a deep breath to calm down, and just then, the warning bell goes off, and everyone begins to dash to class.

" What class do you have now Mirabelle? " Cleo asks.

" Math " Mirabelle responds " you? " She asks.

" I've got biology. What about after? "

" I've got a free period" Mirabelle answers.

" Me too, so I'll see you in the library? " Cleo asks.

" Sure thing. Bye. " Mirabelle says as they head to their separate classes.

Mirabelle was happy that now she could count on Cleo as a friend, but at the same time, she was sad about the rift she'd caused between Emma and Rikki. This was not what she wanted at all and she was going to find a way to fix it one way or another.

# # # #

Wassup homies, how's it going?
Well, this chapter was more of a filler. Emma is finally thinking with her head, and not her ego. What do you think of Emma's fears? Are they well founded, or is it paranoia?

Lemme know what you think in the comment section, I really love when y'all comment, it makes writing this worthwhile 😊

Please vote

Song Suggestion: I Can't Stop Me by Twice ✌️

Thank you.

Till next time,

Luwiza out ✌️