Hot and Cold

Cleo was already at school, and was looking around for Emma, who was always the first one through the gates in the morning. Cleo just knew something was off, when she had checked all Emma's usual Hangouts before school, and she wasn't  there. Cleo was currently standing outside their home room, when she spots Rikki coming in through the double doors.

"Rikki " she calls out and runs up to her.
Rikki wasn't really in the mood to talk to anyone, considering her day already started out shitty, but by the look on Cleo's face, she was sure 'shitty' wouldn't be enough to describe how her day would eventually go.

" Are u ok Twinkle, someone steal ur cupcake or something?" She asks slightly concerned.

" What... No, that's not it, " Cleo starts confused by Rikki's weird assumption. " Emma's not here yet and school starts in less than ten minutes " she concludes almost whining.

" And this is my concern because... " Rikki drawls out utterly confused.

" I'm worried, she's never this late to school or at all. Usually, by now, she'd be helping our homeroom teacher organize his notes before the bell rang " Cleo says as if trying to solve a mystery.

Rikki resisted the urge to laugh at this. Emma, was a nerd by birthright. That she was sure of.

" Look I'm sure she's fine she probably just overslept, there is no need to be paranoid ok." She says conclusively knowing fully well this was far from over.

Cleo is about to respond when her phone rings.

" It's Emma." She says and answers the call without missing a beat.

By now, the halls were empty cause classes would start soon, and the school had a strict policy when it came to class attendance especially when their principal was a tyrant.

" Emma, where are you, are u okay? " Cleo says in a breath.

Rikki watches impatiently. She'd honest rather be anywhere but here. Something told her to stick around tho, even tho she was ninety percent  sure this would end badly. Her suspicions were confirmed when Cleo starts to walk out of school.

" I'm on my way Em, hang on. " Cleo says as she she hangs up and makes her way to her bicycle.

" What's going on? " Rikki asks curious.

" I can't talk here, but Emma needs our help." Cleo briefly explains as she puts on her helmet.

Rikki doesn't ask anymore questions as she already knew the answers. yet she follows.

* * *

In less than five minutes, they were both at Emma's house. Cleo immediately opens the front door which wasn't locked.

" Emma!" Cleo yells her voice echoing through the house. " Emma we're here where are u! " Cleo yells again.

Rikki whistles lowly as she strolls in behind Cleo " nice place " she says with a smirk as she takes in the simple yet sophisticated decor.

" I'm up in my room! " Emma yells from up the stairs.

Cleo immediately runs up the stairs and Rikki sluggishly follows.

" It's locked Em. " Cleo says as she fumbles with the handle.

" I know, I locked it. " Emma responds.

" Well, hw the hell are we supposed to get in? " Rikki asks annoyed.

" Try picking the lock." Emma suggests, though not liking the idea one bit.

" I don't know how to pick a lock" Cleo says dejectedly.

" I'm pretty sure Rikki does" Emma states condescendingly.