Chapter 38:- Trying Is All We Can Do Sometimes

"Did she ever actually forgive me?"

For a few minutes, the world froze around Jayce. There were two people in front of him, one of them being his best friend and also his former alpha whom he thought to be dead, and the other one is a man who, for some reason, made his heart beat faster than he thought was possible.

His wolf whimpered within his mind as he stared at the man's ocean blue eyes. Jayce scoffed mentally, I am not falling for the same trick again, he thought.

His eyes fell on the girl beside him. His wolf growled in his mind, wanting to be close to the man that the wolf recognized as his mate, but the human had been burnt once, he was too scared to fall for it again.

He focused on the girl. She looked so much different, like her presence gave off different vibes than it did earlier.

"What in the world?" Jayce muttered as his eyes widened on Selena, "Alpha?"

Selena gave a sad smile with teary eyes and took a step forward, "Jayce Leven."

Jayce swallowed the word he was going to say, he sure didn't want his son to repeat it later. While his son's hand was still tightly held in his, he walked forward and stood in front of Selena. He dropped his son's hand and touched Selena's hand, as if to make sure it was really her.

A gentle yet warning growl was heard, and another one accompanied it, but none of the two paid any attention to it.

Selena took a deep breath as she struggled to smile. She put her hands on his shoulder and cheeks and breathed out shakily.

"You're alive," they both whispered together and laughed when they noticed.

"God, Oh god..." Jayce whispered in a shaking voice as he pulled her in for a hug. Selena too wrapped her arms around him.

Jayce was not only her beta, he was also her best friend since they were little children. They had both thought that the other person was dead, and after more than a year of believing that, none of them ever expected the other to be alive.

So, this was really a very welcoming feeling for both of them. They felt relieved, and nothing could overcome that feeling.

When they both let go of the hug, Jayce was still holding her.

"You're alive. Selena Wilson, I knew you are too strong to die in there."

Selena laughed, "I am so fucking glad that you are alive, and even more glad that little Nic is with you." Her smile dimmed a little when she thought of the other person of his family, "Lila?"

"Turns out she was the traitor," Jayce gritted out, a sudden change in his demeanour.

"Selena," Xavier said, as he took a step forward, "They need to come in."

Selena nodded and Xavier then looked at Jayce with a gentle and reassuring smile, "You guys had been out there all along?"

"Just me and my son," Jayce looked where Nic was only to find it empty. he panicked for a second and looked around but it didn't last long as he soon spotted Nic playing with the man who made his heart race.

"No one else?" Jayce looked back at the alpha, ignoring his beating heart and his blushing cheeks.

"No."

Xavier nodded but he didn't miss the little glances Aiden kept throwing at Jayce, "Have you been out there all this while?"

Jayce nodded, "I was not ready to be in any other pack yet, not without the people whom I had always looked up to. But that wasn't the best idea, Nic should have been in a pack."