Chapter 49:- Know The Enemy

"I failed to protect him."

"So... how did she take it?" Selena asked as soon as Xavier entered his office.

The alpha sighed and dropped his body on the chair, "Not very well. But I didn't get much of the heat."

"Can't really blame her, can we?" Selena wondered.

Xavier didn't respond. It was clear from his face how absolutely tiring all this was for him. Selena got up from the window sill and walked until she was right beside him. Placing her hand on his head, she tried to calm him with her energy, feeling glad that Lorcan taught her this trick.

Xavier, however, had other plans. He pulled her hand and made her sit on his lap and nuzzled his head in the curve of her neck.

"Sel, she is pregnant, we can't wait anymore. She needs to be safe."

"I know that. But you gotta understand this too. Her whole family and her mate will be stuck here in the middle of a war. No wonder she is losing her mind."

"It is not just her! All the pregnant women are being sent away, along with the older people and babies. It is not safe to keep anybody who cannot fight here. We are keeping the teens and some old wolves here only because we cannot send all of them away. She needs to understand that."

Selena raised her face and looked at Xavier as if he had lost his mind. "She has the blood of alpha in her."

Xavier shook his head and leaned it back with a sigh. "I know. She must hate me right now. But it is for her own safety," he said with conviction.

"I am guessing Ryan will be facing more of her wrath."

"True," Selena nodded. Her fingers found his hair again, she loved the sensation of feeling his hair slipping past her fingers. "But as her mate, he will also be able to make her understand why it is important."

Xavier had just opened his mouth to reply when the voice of a very frantic Roy entered their heads.

'Get to the western border of the pack. Fast! FAST!'

Roy was never this informal with any of them so that already caught the leaders off-guard. Other than that, his distraught tone was enough to indicate that something terrible had happened.

They shared a look and in the very next second, both were out of the packhouse.

By the time the leading couple reached where Ryan and the others were, they had already started hearing the painful cries of a she-wolf. When Xavier and Selena arrived, the crowd parted sideways to give space to their leaders to come at the front.

Lorcan was pacing a few feet away from the crowd and had a furious look on his face. Selena noticed him first before she looked forward.

"Oh Goddess, no." The whisper slipped past his lips before she could stop herself.

Waves of anger were very eminent from the alpha who stood still on the spot. His hands were fisted by his side and his eyes had turned completely black with silver rings. He was barely holding on. 

Taking a step forward, Xavier knelt down on both his knees. He extended his hands but for some reason, he couldn't bring himself to touch it.

The alpha didn't want to cause more damage. More than that, he couldn't bring himself to believe that such an innocent soul was now gone without a reason.

There was so much blood seeping out of the body, the boy couldn't have been more than nine years old.

"What..." he whispered, his voice heavy with emotion and anger. He cleared his throat but that didn't hide the anger emanating off of him. "What the hell happened here?"