Chapter 51:- Last Moments of Peace

"Losing isn't an option for us,"

Breakfast the next day was way, way different than the previous morning.

If anyone saw the group of leaders, they would find it hard to believe that just twenty-four hours ago they are all laughing and teasing each other, enjoying life. Sure, the stress of the hunters was there then as well, but they had learned to focus on the good things too. This morning, with the threat of death looming over their heads, it just seemed too far away.

When Ileana came downstairs to join them, she didn't look at any of them. With her eyes cast down, she silently took her seat beside Ryan and ate her food. She was scheduled to leave with all the other pregnant she-wolves along with the older wolves and babies right after breakfast was over.

It was not that Ileana was mad about it. She understood why she had to leave; not just Ryan and her family, but her wolf too wouldn't allow her to risk her unborn child. But it didn't mean that she was okay with it. She was worried out of her mind about her family, the ones she had to leave behind.

As she played around with the food on her plate as her mind continued its assault on her, she didn't notice how Xavier had his eyes set on his sister.

Ileana and Aiden were different from Evelyn and him. They were more emotional, there was more childlike innocence in these two and both Xavier and Evelyn were extremely protective of them.

Just as Ryan kissed Ileana's cheek and went to check how Roy was handling leading the training, Xavier gave a quick squeeze to Selena's hand and got up from his chair. Abandoning, his food, he walked up to where Ileana was sitting only a few feet away. The pack members were already done with their breakfast and were training so it was only them in the dining room.

"Ileana..." Xavier whispered when he was next to her.

"I am not mad at you," she said before Xavier could continue.

"Seems like it though."

She smiled, "I am not. I am worried though." Ileana breathed out, trying hard to hold on to the tear threatening to slide down her cheek, "I just cannot shake off the feeling that this might be the last time that I am seeing you all."

Xavier smiled sadly and placed his hand on her cheek, "You most definitely will. We will win this, and I will personally go there to bring you all back. I swear on my life."

"It's not funny, Xavier!" she said as she pushed him away. Xavier chuckled slightly and pulled her close.

Selena looked away, overwhelmed by the emotions between the siblings and looked at her own brother, who was already looking at her.

'Stay close to me and Xavier at all times. Don't go ahead alone. I know you can take care of yourself. But still, I can't lose you again.'

Selena smiled when she heard Connor's voice in her head.

'I will try, Con,' she whispered. Connor could feel the fear and vulnerability in her voice.

The whole atmosphere was very dark. It was almost painful to live through.

One by one, they all said their goodbyes to Ileana. Ryan too was teary-eyed as he kissed Ileana one final time.

He was living through a nightmare. The thought of having a kid with Ileana was the happiest thing he could imagine. But this was not the situation in which he wanted to bring their child to the world. He could only hope the war would be over and they would come out of it victorious before Ileana gave birth.

By the time their goodbyes were over, Ileana had also taken up the strong front. All of these werewolves she was accompanying were looking up to her to lead them through this time. She had to be strong and take care of these people.