Chapter 18:- To Own Up To My Actions

"I am so ashamed of you"

"I'll just... I-I'll leave you guys alone," Ryan smiles awkwardly as he tried to take a few steps forward to walk past Damien; nobody ever wants to deal with an angry Damien.

"Get back to where you were," his voice boomed. Ryan stumbled back over his own legs as went back to his original place.

Xavier would have laughed. But the weight of his mistakes and of the disappointment of his father is too much.

Damien looked right at his son's eyes. His eyes shifted to Ryan's but soon were back to Xavier's again.

"Take a seat, both of you."

Both the boys sat on the other side of the alpha's table as Damien sat on Xavier's chair. If it was anyone else, they wouldn't even have dared to think about it. But Damien was the alpha before Xavier and was one of the most respected individuals in Xavier's eyes.

Damien knew that his son was his pain. His mate was unconscious in the hospital, it didn't need a specialist to know he was in pain, but he could see the guilt in his eyes. However, the guilt was not enough to stop him from asking the questions bothering him.

"Why could you not trust your mate?" Damien leaned on the desk, going straight to the point.

"Dad..." Xavier stared.

"No, Xavier. A wolf's, especially an alpha's, first instinct would be to trust his mate. He'd need proof to not trust the mate."

Ryan looked at the table or his fingers all the time. He didn't speak and he had no intention of speaking until he was asked a direct question.

"Now, son," Damien continued, "I know I didn't raise you to be a man who can just take such a huge decision on an impulse. Something happened, something that was related to the incident with Sean." Xavier and Ryan both looked up at Damien making the man smirk, "You'd be foolish to think I didn't notice the worried look in your eyes ever since then."

"Sir, Sean had killed Devon."

"I know that Ryan. I am asking, which part you two decided to omit." He said sternly.

"Sean said that he isn't the only traitor." Xavier looked at his father's eyes for the first time that day. "He said that betrayal is gonna hit me close to him. He winked at Selena."

Damien stared at Xavier for a second before he spoke again, "So?"

"Dad, she didn't look surprised. I don't know exactly what bothered me, but she didn't say anything. She didn't even try to deny it.

"Maybe because she thought that there's no way you will think it's your mate."

"I know I made her life hell." Damien leaned back and took a deep breath. "I didn't know how bad it was until Ryan told me today, but I knew it was bad. I was looking for any evidence to make me believe that the video was fake. That it wasn't her. But there was nothing dad, absolutely nothing. It was like magic! Any lead I had only led to a dead-end."

"You didn't want to believe it. You went out every day to search for evidence, then why did you punish her in the first place?" Damien questioned.

"I..." Xavier paused, "I got angry."

"Xavier you cannot let anger..."

"I know, dad. I know. But in that one second, all I could think about was that the one who is supposed to stand by my side is the one doing all these. The video was not hampered. I had some men look into it. All I could think about was that why did I have to be one of those unfortunates mates?"