𝑮𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒔

SAGE POV
I was walking to the Curtis house when I heard yelling for help; I started running down Two blocks to the gang, chasing socs to their car and attacking them, as Pony was still shaking a little.

Pony never got jumped since someone would always be with him; I got jumped a few times. Now, I carried a switchblade on me; for this reason, I ran over to Pony as Darry was helping him sit up some.

"Did they hurt you badly, Pony?" I asked, worrying as I kneeled to his eye level.

"No," he mumbled, his voice cracking, and he held back tears. Then, Soda ran over to us and kneeled beside me to look at Pony's head.

"You got a little cut up, huh, Ponyboy?" Pony looked at him blankly as if he told him he had murdered someone.

"I did?"

I pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to Soda, who wet it with his tongue and pressed it gently against Pony's head. "You're bleedin' like a stuck pig." Once again, Pony looked at us blankly. "I am," I sighed, grabbed the handkerchief from Soda's hand, and showed Pony the red spot on the cloth. "Look!"

"Did they pull a blade on you?" I asked, worried.

"Yeah," he looked away from us and wiped his tears. Soda put his hand on Pony's shoulder. "Easy, Ponyboy. They ain't going to hurt you no more." Soda told him calmly.

"I know," Pony crooked as tears fell on his face as he quickly wiped them away, "I'm just a little spooked, that's all." He breathed out, trying not to cry. Soda rubbed his hair. "You're an okay kid, Pony." Ponyboy grinned up at us.

"You're crazy, Soda, out of your mind." Darry looked as if he wanted to knock the boy's heads together. "You're both nuts." Soda merely cocked an eyebrow, a trick he caught on from Two-bit. "It seems to run in this family." Darry stared at him for a second, then cracked a grin.

Soda isn't scared of Darry and enjoys teasing him every chance. Soon after, the gang came running over towards the four of us. They were all as tough as nails. I grew up with seven of them, and we are all family.

We stuck together like glue. Soda helped Pony up as he looked at the rest. "Didya catch 'em?" He asked. "Nup. They got away this time. The dirty..." two-bit called them names he could think of or makeup. Soon after, Dally started talking about the nightly double at the drive-in. I agreed, and I will meet them there after work.

We all finished our cigarettes; I jumped out of the car and followed Soda and Steve inside the house as Dally and Two-Bit left, and Pony and Johnny sat on the porch. "Hey, Soda, I forgot to tell you, but I'm going to work at the DX this weekend," I told him. Before he could answer, we heard Steve shout from the kitchen.

"YOU KNOW, WITH YOU HELPING, SODA WON'T GET ANYTHING DONE FROM ALWAYS WATCHING YOU," Steve yelled; I laughed as Soda blushed from embarrassment. Then, I walked over and sat on the couch to watch Mickey Mouse as Darry asked Soda if he could rub his back. A couple of minutes passed, and Pony walked through the door and came over to me. "Sage, you're good at science, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, why?" I questioned

"I need help with an assignment."

"Go get it, and we can work on it," I pointed to his and Soda's shared bedroom; he shook his head and walked to their room. "Rub harder, Soda," Darry mumbled. "You're gonna put me to sleep." Of course, I knew Soda would put him to sleep because Soda can put about anyone out if he sets his mind to it.

I looked at him as he rolled his eyes at Darry's remark. I tried to hold back laughter. Then, as Pony returned with a textbook, pencil, and paper, he handed me the paper. I glanced at it to realize it was pretty easy. Then, after helping Pony with his homework, Steve left.

Soda fell asleep in Darry's chair. Darry was cooking dinner, and Pony was reading on the floor. Finally, I got up and went to the kitchen to tell Darry I was heading home.

"Hey, Darry, I will head out before it's too dark," I lead on the counter.

"You sure? Sage, you can eat dinner with us, and Soda or I can drive you home."

"I'm sure, Darry, I only live two blocks from here, and if something happens, I'll run here, or I'll scream for help,"

"Fine," he mumbled, giving up on trying to have me stay, "Bye, Darry," I let out, walking back to the living room, Pony lying down and still reading. "Bye, Pony, I'm leaving, and tell Soda I'll see him tomorrow," I asked, putting my shoes on and grabbing my things. "Bye, Sage, and thanks again for helping me with my homework." he smiled at me again. "No problem, kid, see guys tomorrow," I said before heading out in the cool Tulsa air.