𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔

(Talk about blood and needles.)

SODA POV
Sage fell asleep as Blossom sat on my lap; I pulled into a gas station. I opened the door and took Blossom to use the bathroom. After she finished, I picked her up and called Darry, holding Blossom in my arms.

"What do you mean her mom was there,"

"I'm being serious; she even insulted the whole gang, Mom and Dad; it was all a setup. They only pretended to be nice so that we would stay around," Darry sighed through the phone, "Be safe driving home; we'll see you soon, everyone over."

"I will," I said and hung up. I walked up to the counter as a girl typed in the water I got for Blossom; another girl stared at Blossom and me.

"Aren't you a pretty thing," she commented, attempting to pet Blossom, "Could you not pet her," I let out and handed my money to pay.  "Why?" My blood was boiling, "Because this is my girlfriend's dog, and she doesn't like people petting her," I said, walking back to the car. As I got back, Sage was up and yawning, "Hi, Baby," I said, passing her Blossom and setting the water in the cupholder.

Sage grabbed the water as I pulled out of the gas station; she took a few sips and then let Blossom have some. "You want some?" She inquired. I shook my head and turned the volume up on the radio.

We drove down the street until we pulled up to the house; Dallas, Johnny, and Pony were outside smoking. They came walking over to us as we hopped out. Sage, Johnny, and Pony walked inside. Dal helped me with the luggage. "Darry told us that Sage's mom was there," Dallas said, grabbing a bag.

"Yeah, I swear she looks like a drug addict." we walked to the house. "How much do you want to bet," Dal said; I glanced at him and grinned. "Shoot, who needs to bet? One glimpse, you already know,"

We reached the house, and inside was Christmas music playing; I was back home. Even Sage had a smile on her face and laughed with Ash; This was her home. Sage and I walked upstairs to unpack; Sage threw a bra at me until I tackled her on the bed. We played fight until Darry told us to stop cause we could break something.

Later that evening, Sage and Ash played with Blossom in the living room, Darry was cooking, Pony and Johnny talked as Dal and Two-bit left to pick something up, and Steve and I played poker.

"Believe me, Steve; I beat Sage's old man at poker many times. That is one of the reasons he hates me." I joked, taking a sip of my chocolate milk. "Sure, Soda, use those old stunts then," Steve confessed, leaning back in his chair and glancing at his cards.

The door swing opened to Dally and Two-bit with bottles of alcohol, "We bought the goods," Two shouted, "Don't let the door slam." Pony shouted until the door slammed shut. Blossom sprinted to them, barking and jumping. Dal and Two rubbed Blossom's head as they walked into the kitchen and put it in the icebox; we continued what we were doing until dinner was finished.

We all ate and laughed like a family. At Sage's grandparent's house, no one joked or laughed. It was unmanned; Sage offered to do the dishes after dinner, so I helped her.

She was washing as I was drying and putting away; the radio echoed through the house as the others played games or roughhouse with each other. Sage lightly sang along; I peeked at her, sat the towel down, and pulled her close. We danced to the music; I leaned my forehead on hers, closed my eyes, and smiled. "I love you," I whispered, "I love you too," she replied. The song ended. Suddenly, a body came crashing down on us.

"Get your hands off me," I said. Steve got up and laughed, "You should have seen Sage's face." he laughed; I cried out in pain and rubbed my head as I hit it on the counter. "SODA!" Sage gasped; I looked up at her as she grabbed my hand, which was covered in blood.

"Shit, Soda, you cracked your head open," Darry said; we got our shoes on, ran out of the house, piled into cars, and drove to the hospital. The side of my head that wasn't cracked was lying on Sage's lap, but blood still spilled onto her shorts and legs.

We got to the hospital; my hand covered my wound as the blood gushed. Everyone in the waiting room looked at us, or would I say me? Doctors rushed me to get stitches.

Somehow, I didn't pass out from so much blood loss. After they finished, everyone came in; my head was banging. Sage softly played with my hair as I pulled her beside me. Darry talked to the doctor; Steve apologized to me for this mess. "I have to say, Mr. Curtis, your brother didn't pass out from blood loss or the needle," he explained. Darry shook his hand and strolled towards me.

"How are you feeling, kid?" Darry asked, lightly shaking my leg; I smiled, "like a piece of shit." I said; everyone snickered, "Here's my gift, Sodapop, some painkillers. Merry Christmas, I hope you like them." Darry said, handing me the bottle.

SAGE POV
We all sat in the waiting room for the doctor to tell us the news about Soda's head. Dally and Darry were standing, Two-bit and I were sitting on the floor, Ash's head was on Pony's lap, Johny was seated next to Ponyboy, and Steve was pacing back and forth.

"Damn it, Steve, sit down," Darry demanded through gritted teeth. "Darry, I caused my best friend to get his head cracked open," Steve said, throwing his arms up. "Steve, it's not your fault; you were playing around," I said. Steve turned to me, and his eyes widened, "What?" I asked,

I looked down to a massive bruise on my calf; I came with only shorts and one of Soda's funnels. "Oh my god," I gasped as a doctor walked toward us. We acted normal, "Wow, there are a lot of you." he commented.

"Doc, Is my brother ok?" Darry asked; we all looked at him,

"Sodapop is better than before; he has eight stitches on the side of his head, and he will have headaches for a couple of days," he explained and flipped a page in his clipboard. "I also recommend no loud noises and a couple of days off. I am giving you some painkillers. When he has a headache, give him one; if it doesn't get better, offer him one more. That all only two." he said and Handed Darry a paper,

"Follow me; he has been begging to see you guys." we all got up and followed him to a hospital room. He opened to Soda lying in a bed; the side of his head with no stitches was lying on the pillow.

We walked in; I walked to him and hugged him; he pulled me down and kissed me. We cuddled up together. It was midnight, and we all were tired. Darry talked to the doctor; Steve apologized to Soda for this mess. "I have to say, Mr. Curtis, your brother didn't pass out from blood loss or the needle," he explained. Darry shook his hand and walked towards me.

"How are you feeling, kid?" Darry asked, lightly shaking Soda's leg; he smiled, "Like a piece of shit." He replied, and everyone chuckled, "Here's my gift, Sodapop, some painkillers; merry Christmas, hope you like them." Darry said and handed Soda the bottle of painkillers; we laughed.

They let Soda go, and we all got into our cars and drove home; as Steve and Pony helped Soda inside, the rest of us cleaned up from our party. When we entered the kitchen, Soda's dried up blood on the counter and a little on the floor. "I'll clean it up," Darry said, wetting a rag.

I snatched the rag out of his hands. "Darry, I'll clean it up; go to bed." he walked to his room. We finished cleaning, and Blossom and I crashed into Soda's room as the rest fell asleep in the living room. Damn, we didn't open presents; probably tomorrow morning, we will.