𝑵𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒍𝒚 𝒅𝒐𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒆

SAGE POV
The sun shined through the window next to my bed. I groaned as my eyes burned; I slowly got up and walked to my closet. I pulled on my DX shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes. I grabbed a hair tie, put my blade in my back pocket, and ran out the door.

I walked to the Curtis house; halfway there, I put my hair into a high ponytail to keep it out of my face. When I arrived, I found Dally on the front porch smoking a cancer stick. "Hey, Dal," I said, walking towards him,

"Baby, are you still up for the movies tonight?" Baby was a nickname they all called me since they saw me as a baby sister. "Yeah, I am; what time do you want me at the fence," I raised a question, standing next to him.

He looked down at me. "Seven, Pony or I will come to get you."

"Great, I'm heading in so they know I'm here." I opened the door to Steve and Two-bit, eating chocolate cake, drinking, and watching Mickey Mouse. Darry was in his chair, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. Soda and Pony were nowhere to be seen, and Johnny was sitting on the ground.

"Where's dropout and horseboy?" I asked. Steve looked at me. "Soda is still in the shower, and I don't know where PonyBoy is." He said and went back to watching the TV. The bathroom door opened to Soda in a towel, "Darry, where is my shirt." He called out as he walked to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of chocolate milk.

Your shirt is in my room folded," Darry said, not looking up from the newspaper. Soda chugged the glass and walked to Darry's room; Pony came walking out. "Soda, hurry up; we'll be late," Steve yelled, "Let me comb my hair; then we can leave."

"I think I'm going to head out; see you guys later," Two-bit said, walking out, letting the door slam. A second later, Soda comes out of the bathroom dressed and ready, except his shoes are in his hand. "Let's go, and I'll put shoes on in the car." He muttered.

We all walked out, going over to Darry's car waiting for him, who came out minutes later. Soda sat in the front seat with Darry for Steve, and I sat in the bed of his truck. The car drove down the street.

"You're still going to the drive-in with them tonight?"

"Yeah, I'll meet them there at seven. Dally or Pony will meet me at the fence."

"Alright, be careful sometimes. I don't trust Dallas."

The rest of the ride was silent. Then, We finally made it to the DX Soda, got out, and opened the trunk's bedroom door as Steve jumped out from the side. I walked over to Soda as he helped me down. Steve went to open the doors, and Soda talked to Darry as I walked in and went behind the counter.

Steve finished someone's car that they brought in yesterday. Soda walked in and came behind the counter with me. "Everything okay?" I asked him. "Darry said he could talk to Two-bit about picking us up from work." He said as he sat on the stool and rubbed his face. I walked over to him and hugged him,

"What's on your mind, Sodapop?" I asked. He glanced at me and sighed. "You can't tell anyone, and I mean it; I'm going to marry Sandy." He whispered; my heart felt like somebody had snatched and demolished it.

I have had a crush on Soda since I moved here two years ago. A trunk pulled up before I could reply, and Soda took off to fill their gas tank as I was left alone in my impressions.

LATER THAT DAY
The day had moved slowly. Hardly anyone came inside. Just high school girls stopped by to get gas to flirt with Soda. Finally, we started to close; luckily, it was 6:50, and Two-bit was picking us up. "What's going on here, greasers." Two joked.

When a greaser called another greaser, it differed from when a soc said it. It was more like a compliment than an insult like you should be proud of being a greaser. "I'm getting the front seat," I shouted before the guys could. After Steve locked the doors, we hopped in the worn-down truck.