𝑩𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒌𝒇𝒂𝒔𝒕

SODA POV
I was finishing packing when Steve walked in and sat on the bed. "So you and Sage ah?" He asked as he took a drink of his coke. I rolled my eyes, ignored him, and kept packing. "Come on, man, you can't keep a secret from us forever." He groaned and jerked my shoulder roughly.

I turned around, glared at him, and sighed, "OK, Sage and I are dating." I reveled and shut my suitcase. "I knew it," he cried and galloped out of the room, shouting that Sage and I were dating.

She entered the room and draped her arms around my neck as I placed my hands on her waist, and we rested our foreheads together. "Sorry about him; he wouldn't stop bugging me about it." "It's OK; I told Ash about us anyway." She said and rubbed my jawline as I closed my eyes gently. She giggled and walked away as I opened my eyes.

"Where are you going?"

"To get dressed, why."

"Just wondering,"

She rolled her eyes and smiled, then walked out of the room back to hers. I have loved her for the past year, and I guess she was different than Sandy; she was my missing piece. As thumping was coming down the stairs from us, there were suitcases and backpacks downstairs.

I looked out the door to Ash, throwing a bag down the stairs. "Whoever threw that fucking bag down those stairs, it hit my head!" Two-bit snapped, and Sage and Ash were laughing. Two chased them upstairs until Ash ran downstairs, as Sage was the only one.

SAGE POV
Somehow, the diner didn't have a booth to fit us all as the dingo could. So Soda and I took a booth behind the gang. As we looked at our menus, clicking of heels on the hardwood floors.

"What can I get you guys something to drink?" An old lady asked. Soda looked up and smiled kindly at her. "I'll have a glass of orange juice; what do you want, hun?"

"The same thing as him."

Soda smiled and grabbed my hand. "I will be back with that," The lady said and walked off as we looked at what we wanted. Soda lightly rubbed my knuckles. Two glasses were on our table; we looked at the lady with a sweet, kind smile.

"Ready to order?"

"Are you ready, Soda?"

"Yeah, you go first."

I closed my menu, "I'll have the pancakes with strawberries." "Any toast with that, dear?" she asked, writing down on her notepad. "No, thank you." I handed her the menu.

"What about you, young man."

"I'll do the biscuits and gravy with a side of eggs."

"How do you want those eggs?" She asked and looked up, "scrambled with a side of grape jelly, please," he said and handed her the menu. She smiled and walked off. The gang was talking and wasn't as loud as they usually were.

AFTER BREAKFAST
We all piled into the van and began to drive back home; Hound Dog by Elvis Presley was booming through the car. I was drawing and tapping my foot with the beat of the music. Soda wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "what are you drawing?" Soda asked.

I have always been good at drawing people and their features. I would go off my memory. "I don't know, someone handsome," I said and looked at the picture. He smiled, "It looks a lot like me, baby, don't you think." He remarks; I looked at the picture, realizing I drew him without knowing it. "I wanted to, Darry." I joked.

"You know you wanted to draw me."

"Yeah, sure, whatever," I closed my journal and placed my head on his shoulder. "You're gorgeous," was the last I heard before falling asleep.

ONE HOUR LATER
I woke up to the car swerving and Darry cussing, "Honk if you're horny!" Steve yelled; that woke me up. "You OK there, Baby?" Pony asked, turning around. "Yeah, Darry almost murdered me," I mumbled. Time passed, and everyone was talking or laughing. The music was still roaring.

"You know what, I am certainly not a Shark. I'm a T-rex." Two commented we were talking about what type of animal we would be. Darry would be a bear, Ash a fox, and Steve would be a snake. As for Dallas, he would be a wolf. Ponyboy would be a horse, Johnny would be a puppy, and Two-Bit would be a shark (though he disagrees). Sodapop would be a ferret, and I would be a cat.

They all argued about their animal; I watched cars pass and signs fly past us. Then, finally, I sighed, looked away, and rested my head as it was pounding rapidly. "Soda, can you check my forehead? I feel warm and sick." I told.

He looked worried and put the back of his hand on my forehead. His eyes were full of worry. "Darry, can you stop at the nearest gas station and get Sage some medicine." He announced. "The nearest gas station is two miles away. Do you think you can last that far, Sage?" Steve asked; everyone was looking at me, worried. I shook my head and rested my eyes.

As time passed, the car turned into a gas station, and everyone jumped; I got out of my seat and sat on the van's floor, looking out the opened door as Darry and Soda walked inside. Two came close and rested his hand on my forehead.

"She's burning up," Two commented. "Pony, go let Darry know to bring some cold water out," Dally demanded as Pony raced in. I rubbed my head and breathed deeply. Finally, the gas station door opened, and Soda came running out with a bottle of aspirin and water. He slowed his pace and walked over to me.

He crouched and sat the water on the floor next to me. He ripped the seal of the aspirin bottle off with his teeth and passed me two pills. I took the drug from his hand as he opened the water and gave it. I popped the pills in my mouth and took a small sip of water.

Darry and Pony came out. "Did you give her some?" Darry asked; Soda shook his head. "Sage, we will sit here for a while to let you rest. I think you have something. We only have thirty minutes until we are home." Darry explained.

Dallas lit a cigarette; the smell of the smoke from the cancer stick made my head hurt more.

"put it out, dal." I put my face in my hands and breathe in and out, trying not to puke. "No," he said and blew smoke out towards me, "Put it out, asshole," I demanded and grabbed my lighter out of my side pocket and threw it at him; the lighter hit him in the chest. He picked it up, put it in his jacket pocket, and grinned. "Put it out, Dallas," Darry ordered, got my lighter back, and handed it back to me. I put it back in my pocket and sighed.

SODA POV
We all were standing there looking at her. I was worried about her and what it could be; a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to Darry; he nodded his head towards a tree. We walked away until we made it far away from the others. "Soda tells me the truth. Did you guys sleep together?" he asked. I froze and stared at him.

I couldn't say anything. I never thought my brother would ask me something like this. All I could do was shake my head as he said, "Did you use protection?" he asked again, and I nodded again.

"It could be food poison, Darry," I said; I didn't want to think that I was scared Sage would do the same thing after what happened with Sandy. Darry sighed and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm just trying to think of why she doesn't feel good."

I shook my head and strolled back over to them. I kissed Sage on top of the head. "How are you feeling?" I asked, feeling her forehead. "I think I can make it the rest of the way." She announced, and we all got back in the van. Darry began to drive again.

SAGE POV
My eyes started to fall as I fell asleep. I woke to be laid down on a soft surface, as footsteps were getting far away and the door was closed. I opened my eyes to Soda's old bedroom; the room smelled like him as I lay back down and brought the sheet closer.

SODA POV
We made it home; we got dropped by everyone except for Sage's house. Finally, we made it to our house. Darry and Pony took the luggage inside. I carried Sage inside to my old room. She turned on her side, and I left the room to let her sleep.

I walked into my and Pony's room. He was throwing clothes into the dirty pile in the corner of our room. I opened my bag up and began to unpack.