𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒗𝒆'𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒏

SAGE POV
I woke up to the door slamming closed and shouting. I tried getting up until I was pulled down as I looked up at Soda. "Soda, let me get up,"

"Nope," I started to push and punch his chest until he let me go. "Get up, Pepsi-Cola."

"Fine," he groaned. Finally, he got up, and we walked to the living room to Two-Bit, watching Mickey Mouse and eating chocolate cake; Steve was sitting on the couch arm. A girl was reading a magazine on the couch.

Soda walked over to Steve and pushed him to play fight. Finally, they stood up, breathing heavily from fighting. "Who is the girl Steve?" I asked, "This is Ash; she is my cousin. She is staying a year with my dad and me, so she wants to come with me to meet you guys." She looked up and set her magazine down.

"Hey, Pony?" Soda yelled,

"Yeah," He said, walking out from the kitchen into the living room. "Want to go to a rodeo with me, Steve, and Sage?" He exited the kitchen, "No, Johnny and I will hang out tonight."

"Steve, can I come with you?" Ash asked, "I don't think a Tulsa rodeo would be the safest for you to go to." Rodeos around here can be dangerous, from the animals getting out, people starting a giant fight, or the rider getting killed. "Why does she get to go, but I can't." She whined, "Cause I can go without permission," I said.

ASH POV
Steve and I walked down a street. "look, Ash, if anyone comments on you or has been meant, tell me." Steve explained, "Are they dangerous?" I'm thirteen, and I hoped none of them were creeps. "Most of them, no, some are questionable." We walked up to an old, run-down house with a fence as Steve hopped the fence.

"Don't use the gate. It's horrible to close." I jumped over, and we walked up to the door. I heard shouting, laughter, and music from the inside. Steve opened the door; someone called,

"Don't slam the door." a boy was sitting on the floor watching Mickey Mouse and eating Chocolate cake. "Just sit on the couch," Steve whispered, then walked away.

I sat down, and a magazine was there, so I started to read it. Steve came back with a beer in his hand. "Hey, Ponyboy, where are Soda and Sage?" Steve shouted,

"Still asleep." Someone called back, who I guessed was Ponyboy. A door opened and closed, a girl came from the hallway rubbing her eyes, and a handsome boy was behind her. The boy came over and pushed Steve. He got up, and they played fight. Finally, they got up, breathing hard. "Who is the girl Steve?" The girl questioned,

"This is Ash, my cousin. She is staying a year with Dad and me; she wanted to meet you guys."

"Hey, Pony?" The handsome boy called out.

"Yeah"

"You want to come to the rodeo with me, Steve, and Sage tonight?" A boy came walking out of the kitchen; he seemed older than me and was quite handsome. "No, Johnny and I are going to hang out tonight."

I have never been to a rodeo before. Mom and Dad don't let me. I'm sure Steve wouldn't care if I tagged along. "Steve, can I come with you?" I asked, "I don't think a Tulsa rodeo would be the safest for you to go." He explained I didn't understand.

The girl named Sage can go, but I can't. She is probably my age, but she can go, "Why?" I asked, "Because sometimes the animals can get out and attack people, people create a giant fight, or the rider can get killed." The guy who was sitting on the floor

"TWO-BIT!" They all shouted, "What," he asked, confused; they looked mad at him. "Oh, now I get why all of you are mad." He smiled and looked back at the TV. "Can someone tell me what your names are?" I asked;

I started to get confused by all the names. "I'm Sage," the girl said. "this is Sodapop, but you can call him Soda. She pointed to the handsome boy who walked out with her. "That is Two-Bit." She pointed to the dude sitting on the floor watching Mickey Mouse.

"That Ponyboy, Soda's kid brother." She pointed to the boy standing next to Soda. "You meet the other later,"

"They're more!"

"There's Darry, Johnny, and Dallas," Ponyboy said.

"Dally in the cooler for shoplifting," Two-bit said, not taking his eyes off the TV. "I am not bailing him out this time," Sage announced, walking down the hallway.

"Where are you going?" Steve yelled.

"None of your business." She shouted and shut the door.

"What time did she get here last night." Ponyboy asked, "9:30; I mean, she ran half a mile from the Drive-In then almost got jumped by some socs." Soda explained. Socs? I never heard of that or what they mean by the cooler. "What are socs? cooler, and kid brother?" I questioned; they looked at me like I was dumber than a bag of rocks.

"Socs are the rich kids around here. They live on the west side of town. We're greasers, and they don't like us. So they come on our side in the city and jump us all. Steve explained,

"Is it just you guys that are greasers?" I asked,

"Nah, kid, you know the difference between a greaser and soc quickly, or there is the middle class. They don't choose sides," Two-bit said,

"And the cooler?" I asked,

"It's what greasers call jail, we call cigarettes cancer sticks, and we call our younger siblings kid brother or sister. It's just how we talk; growing around here, you get used to the different words and names." Soda explained.

They all looked at me as I understood everything they had just told me. "I also recommend that someone walks with you all the time because of a girl your age. Socs see as an easy target." Steve said,

"What about Sage? Can she walk around here by herself?" I asked,

"Yeah, she can because she always has her switchblade on her." Pony said,

"There're many things that Sage has seen back in New York that happen here is nothing compared to there," Ponyboy explained.

"She from New York?" I said,

"She was born here, and we all grew up together until her dad moved to New York. Then, two years later, she ran away and came back, and ever since then, she has lived here and worked with Soda and me," Steve explained.

"You are not going to that rodeo tonight. I have a bet with Tim Shepherd on one of those riders. If I win, he gets nasty," Steve said, looking at Soda, who chuckled and walked down the hallway.