Chapter Seven- To Be Civil

After that night at the black lake where the Black siblings sat together, something had shifted in their relationship

Talitha knew for the sake of Regulus she would have to be civil with Sirius. Regulus was the closest thing to her and she refused to let Sirius get in the way of that.

☆゜・。。・゜゜・。。・゜★

The next morning she waited outside the Gryffindor common room for Sirius.

It felt as though millions of students had passed her as she waited for Sirius. Each one having the same reaction. Shocked that Talitha Black was there. She shrugged off their shock with her smirk.

She pulled out a book and began to read as she waited for Sirius. When a body came crashing into her, pulling her away from her reading.

She looked up from her book and saw who it was.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed at who it was. Of course it's James Potter she thought.

For some unknown reason Talitha always felt this odd tension with James Potter. They had never explicitly traded any horrid words or arguments. They'd just give one another a passing a comment. And Talitha would always have the last word. Other than that they'd usually just growl or shoot daggers at one another.

Perhaps that's why they had this odd tension, they never told each other what they really wanted to say.

'Can you actually see with those glasses or must you crash into me every time?!' Talitha said sarcastically.

James hated himself for running into her.

Why did it have to be her, he thought, it's bad enough seeing her in class.

'Why are you even here?' James asked then added a quick remark. 'Can't get enough of me in class? Had to stalk me here too?'

Talitha cackled at his remark. 'Oh Potter are you trying to flirt with me?'

James widened his eyes at this.

How did she always find a way to answer back so quickly, he thought.

Luckily Sirius came barging out so he didn't have to think of anything to say back.

'Prongs mate what you doing standing there?' Sirius exclaimed then saw that Talitha was stood opposite James.

He tried to hide a smile from creeping on his face. 'Talitha! Hi! What-what are you doing here? Not that your not welcome here, it's just that... well I've.. I mean it's just-' Sirius said stuttering nervously.

Talitha interrupted him, growing tired of his mindless talking.

'Enough. Walk with me to the great hall. We need to talk.' Talitha demanded.

Shooting a glare at James as she said. 'Alone.'

James rolled his eyes at her then patted Sirius on the back.

Sirius gulped nervously and nodded, following his sister down the steps to the great hall.

'This is about Regulus.' Talitha stated.

'Yes thank Merlin! We can finally talk about this. I've been needing to speak to someone about this.' Sirius sighed out before continuing. 'He's too young. He's not even seventeen!'

'I know. It's too much.' Talitha said in agreement.

Sirius waited a beat before replying.

He knew his sister wouldn't speak too many words to him, so he'd have to do most of the talking. Even though she asked to speak to him.

'It's far too much pressure for someone too young. The worst bit is that we don't know what he'll ask of Regulus. We'll be left in the dark, he'll make Regulus keep it a secret. I can tell it's more than just the dark mark. He wants more.'

Talitha felt her head swelling, she knew a headache would be coming.

Her mind was racing as she tried to think of what would be asked of her younger brother.

She had to steady her breathing to calm herself.

But her hazel eyes gave away the truth. They were clouded with worry.

She eventually spoke making her voice harsh so Sirius wouldn't pick up on her pain.
'There's not much we can do, but be there for him. That's what we need to do now. Be there.'

Sirius nodded. He wished there was more to do. 'I wish I could stop it. Stop all this mad-'

'It's too late.' Talitha said bitterly interrupting Sirius.

Sirius pursed his lips, stopping by the window in the corridor.

Talitha stopped as well standing in front of him. He met her eyes and she met his.

'I need for us to be civil.' She said. 'In order for us to be there for Regulus, we need to be civil. He needs you and he needs me and he can't have us hating one another.'

Sirius wanted to tell her that he didn't hate her. That it was all in her head. But he knew better than to disagree with her.

So he went along with her. Happy enough that at least Talitha Black would be willing to be civil.

Sirius held out his hand with a grin on his face. 'To the start of our civilness.'

Talitha shook his hand returning his grin.
'To our civilness.'

She then let go of his hand and walked into the great hall sitting with her Slytherin friends and Sirius went to his friends at the Gryffindor table.

Talitha would never admit it out loud but she was glad she was speaking to Sirius again.

She wouldn't call him her brother just yet. But that ache in the bottom of her stomach felt smaller.

Regulus walked through the great hall like a ghost, glancing at Sirius then pacing towards Talitha.

Talitha rubbed Regulus on the shoulder as he sat down.

The pain of fear was still apparent within him.

But at least his fear of being alone vanished. As he sat by his sisters side.