22.

Omniscient

7 years ago...

Naala detached a sleeping Saint from her nipple and put him on her shoulder to proceed winding him. Her eyes were slowly closing out of tiredness.

She checked the time at it was 3:04am and Dave was still nowhere to be found. It wasn't unusual for him to be gone at this time but Naala was reaching her breaking point.

It was Saint's first week home from the hospital and Naala had been struggling, he was extremely fussy and Naala wasn't used to that.

On cue, Saint burst into tears making Naala's eyes shoot open.

"Mommy's trying," Naala whispered to him as she rocked him slowly, which didn't help. His tears increased which only worried and startled her more.

"I don't know what you want Saint," Naala said emotionally. "I've fed you and I've changed you, what is it?" Her own eyes filled up with tears because she was fed up.

Naala felt alone in being a parent and Dave didn't help that. He was never around and ended up leaving her with two young children.

On the other side of town, Hassan's phone vibrated relentlessly.

"Hassan your phone," Mia complained pushing him. She too was tired, Amari had just gone to sleep and she didn't want to wake her.

He got up and say the caller id, choosing to take the call outside of the room.

"Naala?" He spoke quietly but was met with loud crying and Naala sniffing.

"I didn't know who to call but I can't do this," Naala cried on the phone. "He won't stop,"

"Okay you want me to come down there?" Hassan said clearing his throat. "Try rocking him or doing that thing he likes with his legs,"

"It's not working Hassan," Naala sighed through her tears.

"Alright I'm coming," He said before hanging up. Hassan went back into their room and started to get dressed. Mia rolled over and opened her eyes.

"Where are you going?" She asked watching him get ready.

"I gotta go handle something quickly," Hassan responded putting on some socks and then his slides.

"What's wrong with Mocha now?" Mia complained. "I swear Dess makes this shit up,"

"Go to sleep I'm coming," Hassan said in a irritated tone. This is all they ever did, argue. Mainly because Mia always found a way to fight with him.

Hassan didn't even wait for her to respond, he left the room and left the house, in a hurry to get to Naala. A drive that would normally take him 30 minutes, took him 12.

Naala had already unlocked the door for him so he walked right into the house. He could still hear Saint's screams from down the steps and down the hall.

Following the cries, he found them both in the nursery. Naala was rocking him with tears running down her own face but his cries weren't letting up.

"I got him, sit down," Hassan said lightly taking Saint from her. "What's up little man?" He said to Saint, gently rocking him.

"I'm sorry," Naala sniffed, "I know Mia just had the baby but I didn't know who else to call,"

"Why you apologising?" Hassan said looking at her. "He's my son too, you shouldn't be doing this on your own,"

"I'm not on my own," Naala defended, shocked that Saint's cried stopped all together.

"Then where is he? Naala I said I will step up and own my shit, we made this baby together. We can face the consequences," Hassan preached. He never wanted to keep Saint a secret, that was his son and he was proud.