Phil Coulson

It's not often that he feels this lost, after the things he had been through, he would think that he should be used to it with all of the twists and turns this work gives them. But what had gone down earlier this evening is something he never thought was even possible.

He had expected that the fight against Skye's crazy father would be a hard one, he hadn't expected then to be at a disadvantage so early in. He knew very well that they were two agents down, he just didn't expect it to matter this much.

So, the sudden add-in help had been a blessing and a curse. Seeing and hearing Tony Stark entering the fight, blasting his way down, and then having Captain Steve Rogers, Clint Barton, and Thor enter from the side had been incredible. He'd seen Melinda, Bobbi and Hunter join them, knowing fully well that left him and Mack to protect FitzSimmons.

But seeing the Avengers again, fighting a fight they should have been able to handle, the fact that the Avengers seemed to be following a plan on what to do. Making him question whose order they were following. And then she was just there, dropping from the sky, landing almost like Natasha, the agent that had disappeared a while back, Skye. She had placed herself between them and an incoming threat that Phil had completely missed.
And Natasha entered the scene, hitting the crazy lady with knives as nails before Skye used her powers, powers that managed to shake the whole field. Powers she used without second-guessing when she took out her father. He could hear Simmons, Bobbi, Hunter, and Mack mumbling about this little fact behind him.

His own eyes seeing the next thing made him question everything at the moment. Seeing how Fitz walks up to hug Skye, seeing how Melinda, Maria, who had placed down a plane alongside Bruce, and Clint join them as the rest of Avengers started to clean up. Phil knew fully well how his eyes grew large at the site of how comfortable Fitz looks alongside the Avengers and just how the two former Assassins are happy to pull him in.

And at the sight of both Skye and Maria taking down Tony a few levels and hearing Thor's comment is the point where Phil realizes, he is missing a big part of information. Information that they were about to get, once Skye's new team reaches the Playground.

Melinda and Fitz decided that they rather travel with the Avengers and Maria, Melinda using the excuse that someone has to show them the proper way, even if Phil fully well knows that Maria would be able to find her way to this base in her sleep. Which meant that Bobbi is the one that was put to fly them back to the base. Which has somehow led to that they have to wait for the rest of his team and the Avengers to show up.

Looking around himself, he can see mixed feelings coming for the team that returned with him. The feeling he can see in all their eyes however is hurt, they all felt hurt about this, and Phil can understand them. They are supposed to be a team, a family. And after everything they have been through together with Skye, the fact that she didn't seem to trust her enough to tell them about something as big as this really hurts.

At the sound of happy voices coming their way, the team falls into silence as their attention turns towards the door leading into the kitchen, why they decide to have their biggest conversation as of late in this room is beyond him. He does however have a feeling it has to do with the quick access to the alcohol.

"Oh, come on Leo! How should I have known that they would react like that? And the fact that Tony can turn the floor, so it looks like lava! Okay, the last part we should have seen coming."

They can hear Skye complain and laugher follows it all. Hearing the story, Phil can't help but roll his eyes but smile. It did sound like something Tony would create just because he can. Seeing as the group enters, the happy tones that they could all hear just seconds ago is gone, replaced with serious looks and the Avengers have their arms crossed as they take in what is left of the 616 team.

Phil has seen these people, worked with most of them, and he knows just how protective each one of them can be. Having them all being this protective over a single person, this person being Skye nonetheless, almost makes Phil want to run for his life.

"Stand down."

Melinda orders, her eyes on the Avengers and Phil are happy to see that the Avengers do follow her orders, then again, if anyone can be scarier than the Avengers it's her and Pepper Potts. Seeing how the Avengers lower their arms and takes a step back, he can hear Skye laugh slightly before Natasha hits her.

"Ouch, you know that hurt."

"You still have it coming."

"Oh, come on! How is it she can get away with doing something like that!"

"Maybe because it's Tasha, no one tries to threaten Tasha and actually gets away with it."

"Well...."
"No, you wouldn't get away with it."

Watching the conversation going in front of them, Phil is sure in this moment that Skye has been friends with this group for much longer than he would have thought.

"I kind of hate to interrupt this scene but..."
Phil speaks up, feeling now would be the best time before the group falls deeper into their small argument. He had seen how Melinda rolled her eyes at the argument and Fitz was smiling big at it all. And just like that, the carefree atmosphere that had worked its way into the group during their argument, it's gone once more.

"You have powers!"

Simmons calls out before Phil has a chance to ask anything and he lowers his head. Yes, how Skye has ended up with powers is one of the questions that is highest his now long list of questions. He on the other hand wouldn't have been so blunt in asking about this. From the way the Avengers react to the sudden question, and how Skye seems to shrink back slightly at the question he can tell Jemma's way wasn't the way to go.

"Your DNA was unchanged, how... FITZ!"Simmons continues before her attention turns towards the engineer who freezes up slightly at the volume Simmons's voice takes as she says his last name.

"You knew her DNA changed, and you just changed it to her old one and kept silent about it!"

Simmons goes on and Phil can see how Skye lowers herself more and more. Leo and Melinda are glaring at Simmons with deep anger in their eyes. Something that Simmons doesn't seem to realize. He can also see how the Avengers are stepping forwards to make sure Skye is alright.

"Simmons, that is enough." Phil tells her, he turns his head to send her a warning. Seeing how Simmons is about to open her mouth, he nods his head to the side, towards the Avengers, Fitz, and Melinda. Her eyes turn towards the group, and she closes her mouth as quickly as she had opened it.

Seeing how this whole conversation and reactions have gone down, Phil now understands why Fitz has done what he did. It also explains his anger towards them after Skye had disappeared, he had done all of this to protect one of their own, from the team that is supposed to be family.