Chapter Two

-New York, 2021.

The sound of the alarm rang through Katya's apartment, it was 07:00 a.m on a Friday, her eyes were dry from reading emails the night before, turned out that working in the film field was more draining than she thought, all the people running around, yelling at her, yelling at other people, yelling at everyone, was definitely not what expected but it is what she has to deal with to pay rent and give herself some treats once in a while.

She got in a pencil black mid-thigh length skirt, black tights, black 4-inch heels, a white shirt with the 2 last buttons unbuttoned letting a bit of skin show, and a red blazer. Got her and her coworker's morning coffee and headed to work.

"Hi guys, I got your coffee ginger, latte two pumps of vanilla"

"Thanks, Katya, I got the photos you took last weekend," Ginger said as she handed out a brown envelope to Katya.

"Thanks" Katya gave a warm smile "Are they ready to start?"

"Five mins"

"Bye see you ginger mwah" Katya exited while blowing a kiss.

Katya went to the 7th floor where "Democracy Now!" records their live news. She loved all about cameras, no matter if it was for movies or the news she still liked managing them, but as she spent more time working there she started getting more work, and now apart from managing the cameras she provided information for certain segments and she cared about the sources, so that turned out taking more time than she expected.

"Hi! I'm here!"

"Hi, you got just in time they are organizing the information, you have to focus the cameras and get the angles ready."

"Okay"

And that's what Katya's work is like, get in, give ginger her coffee, 7th floor, set up the cameras, manage them the whole morning, lunch break, which she still hates, and in the afternoon she investigates the topic she is gonna do the next morning. But with the money from her job she was able to make her own film projects, even if it was a little artsy self-tape or a few shots of a night out with her friends, it fulfilled her. As she waited next to the door for her shift to end she took a cigarette out of her Marlboro box and a lighter, she slightly opened the door while she looked at her watch.

"Two minutes till 5," Katya said inpatient followed by a frustrated grown, she knew she couldn't wait any longer so she just busted out the door on her way to Bob's apartment.

-

"Who is it?"

"It's me let me in Bob"

"Okay Kitty don't scratch me"

Bob came downstairs and greeted Katya with a short hug and a kiss on the cheek, He was the only high school friend Katya kept in contact with constantly.

"What's going on Kat?"

"What do you mean? I'm okay" Katya said defensively.

"You can smoke here, let's talk" 

After getting Bob's permission Katya took the cigarette out of the box and rest it in her mouth while she lit it.

"I just don't know how long I can keep working there," Katya said while trying to lit it "I like most of my co-workers and I like managing the cameras, but I can't stand all the pressure on me, all the hours in an office getting dizzy because of how much I read, it's exhausting, and it's every day, on weekends too." Katya finally got the cig to lit up.

"So you wanna quit"

"No, no I cant Bob"

"Why? You have enough talent and money if you have to be desemployed for a little while."

"I still hope that she will be back there one day"

"Katya" Bob breathed out and in "we've talked about this"

"And? whatever you say won't take away the little part of me who is desperate to have her back"

"She won't be back Katya, you have to accept that, and god! it's not like she died or something"

Katya sat in silence

"You could go out and get her, you know where she lives, but you won't, you're scared Katya"

Katya stood up and started gathering her stuff "I'm not mad, I'm just going home, see you tonight Bob." she walked towards the door.

"Stop right there kitty, I got you something" She handed a little black box that had  Happy Birthday Kitty  Written in silver sharpie on it, Katya smiled without showing her teeth.

"Thanks, Bob, Love you" and she hugged him a little too tight considering they will be seeing each other in a few hours.

As she made her way to the subway she pulled her headphones out, putting on Call Me by Blondie, she bumped her head to the rhythm while imaging scenarios, what if she came to the party tonight? would she talk to her? would she not hate her? They haven't seen each other in years and Katya still waits for her every chance she gets.

She got to the surface again, looking for her keys while in the elevator, she was about to open her apartment door when she noticed a little brown box on the floor in front of her door. There was a little note pinned to it, but it wasn't handwritten it was printed.

Got your favorites котенок ;)