Chapter Fifteenth

TW: talk about rape

- Boston, 2010, March.

Trixie turned on her web camera, looking at herself with the guitar on the screen. She had the lyrics on a sheet of paper beside the laptop. Trixie was pretty camera shy, but she promised Katya she would make something special for her birthday. She had practiced a few times before opening her laptop, changing a few lyrics and adjusting the chords to go with the song. She stretched her fingers, warmed up her fingers a bit by playing a few chords, and pressed clicked the record button.

"Hi! This is Red side of the moon, written by me"

She got into position and started playing.

"Judy never asked her for forever
Judy never asked her for the moon"

Trixie was used to having to ask for affection constantly. Constant reminders that she was loved. She was used to having to ask for things that in any loving relationship are given without asking.

" Judy knew that loving her was better
And no one knew her heart like Judy"

The moment Trixie decided to let go of all the thoughts that were stopping her from loving Katya everything seemed to start getting better. She got to know the soft romantic side of Katya that is known to not show up often, or at all.

"Judy's never mentioned in the papers
Judy's never noted in the news
Judy knew that loving her was safer
Loving from the red side of the moon"

Trixie never said that Katya was her girlfriend to other people who weren't their close friends. She didn't mind silently loving her if it meant she would be safer.

"Loving you from the red side of the moon
Loving her was funnier than a Saturday cartoon
Someday is a story and it's the one I'm sticking to
Loving from the red side of the moon"

Trixie smiled while playing and singing, forgetting about the camera. Everything around her was Katya.

"Judy's never minded all the waiting
Judy never thought to watch the clock
Judy knew that loving's in the patience
When the red side of the moon is what we've got"

Trixie wouldn't have minded waiting years for Katya. if loving her like this is what she gets, Trixie always will have patience for her.

"Loving you from the red side of the moon
Loving her was easier than a Kristofferson tune
Someday is a story and it's the one I'm sticking to
Loving from the red side of the moon"

"Judy left her best days in Chicago
Judy had her worst days in the rain
Middle of the winter with so far to go
And she couldn't keep on hitching to that train"

Trixie remembered how the day they met, in August of 2009, when she also went to Katya's house to sleep. It rained a bit that night and Trixie remembered walking under the light rain that barely got her hair wet.
And how now they were together, recently winter, now spring, doing sleepovers almost every night.

"And she still listens to the radio
Late night after midnight she tunes in
Sings along to songs and every word she knows"

Trixie remembered the day after she stayed at Katya's, the day they met. sitting to have breakfast, her mom and her boyfriend not awake yet. She played the radio quietly. Kiss me by sixpence none the richer played and she softly whisper-sang the song.

"Loving you from the red side of the moon
Loving her was heavier than a leaded red balloon
Someday is a story and it's the one I'm sticking to
Loving from the red side of the moon"

Trixie exhaled and played the last chord until the sound of it stopped bouncing off the walls of her room.
"Happy birthday котенок, I love you"
She clicked the stop button and the video was saved on the laptop. Trixie smiled, she didn't want to wait so long for Katya to see this.