Chapter Twenty-Six

Trixie barely opened her eyes when she felt the sweet smell of pancakes coming from the kitchen behind her. She smiled and stretched, letting the pleasing scent in her nostrils. Trixie sat up on the couch opening her eyes and letting them get adjusted to the light barging in the apartment.

"Good morning sleeping beauty." Trixie heard Katya's raspy voice from behind her. Her belly tingled.

"Good morning" Trixie looked at Katya, turning around. She was wearing a big shirt and big pants, her hair up in a bun, and smiling at the pancakes she was making. Gorgeous.

"Go brush your teeth, there's a new toothbrush on the shelf, breakfast will be ready by then," Katya said without glancing at Trixie.

"Okay, mom." Trixie chuckled softly and stood up, making her way to the bathroom.

She looked at herself in the mirror and took at the moment for a little while. Trixie remembers her younger self imagining situations like this, in a pretty apartment in some city. She would hug Katya from behind while Katya made breakfast and kiss her collarbone, Katya would lay her head on top of Trixie's  shoulder and call her cute nicknames before kissing her. She was in a similar situation, only that they've haven't seen each other for 10 years, they weren't together and Trixie had a flight to catch the next day. 

The last part is what worried Trixie the most. She couldn't just act like nothing happened when she came back, she could go back to a life of loneliness only with the company of beverages. She couldn't go back to life in black and white when she had experienced it in bright and shining colors for two days. Trixie bit her lips, jumping from option to option deciding which lane to take. She could either risk it all and cancel the flight or take the secure lane and go home tomorrow. Trixie knew which one to take. Trixie grabbed the toothbrush and brushed her teeth.

Meanwhile, Katya served breakfast. It was one of the first mornings in months that Katya got to have a calm awakening. And it wasn't a coincidence that it was when Trixie was around. Katya remembers staying up hoping that a text would pop up, or even a call. She would wake up the next day hoping to have Trixie by her side, but sometimes she got the face of other blond curvy girls beside her. She would walk to work hoping she would come a cross her on the street. Katya was surprised she never lost hope. And today was the day she would have to stop hoping, but it frightened her how she would lose it. Katya ran a thousand scenarios on her mind, watching them and analyzing them like a movie. 

Trixie may have booked a flight today, she would have breakfast and say goodbye. Maybe she would be insecure and doubting if Katya really wanted her there. And the last one and Katya's personal favorite, Trixie would stay in new york. While Katya's train of thought trailed off she felt a distinct smell.

"Shit!" Katya scrunched her nose as she took the pan out of the fire. "For fucks sake!"

"What's going on?!" Trixie came out of the bathroom worried.

"I burnt one of the pancakes!" Katya's lip pouted.

"Kat, there's plenty more, it isn't a big deal." Trixie took the pan and threw the now black pancake away. "Let me help you with this" Trixie went to Katya's side and grabbed the spoon to leave the mix on the pan.

"But I wanted to do it." Katya was a bit dissapointed

"We can do it together" Trixie put the spoon on Katya's hand and then grabbed Katya's hand to guide it, spreading the mix on the pan with circle motions. A smile appeared on Katya's face.

Soon after they finished making the pancakes and started adding whatever dressing they wanted to them. Trixie hummed while making her's. Trixie's mind wondered in the idea of how this would have been an everyday thing if she did things differently, if she didn't block Katya's number, if she had patience, if she didn't have so much pride. This was the world’s way of showing Trixie what she lost, and Trixie was starting to accept surrender. They sat down and ate in silence, but it wasn't a awkard silence. It was an eager silence, both of them waiting for one to break it. Trixie could see Katya trying to formulate sentences in her mind, her facial expressions slightly changing. Katya was trying to find a genuine, not weird or random way to break the silence. Until Trixie spoke.