Chapter 1

Sept. 29, 2015 Tue.

Audrey

She laid there in her bed, staring at her ceiling. It was 3:57 am— Another sleepless night even though she had school the next morning. As time passed her body became weightless. Her eyelids drifted off and a warmth covered her. The heat of the sun bathed her feet as they sat upon coarse sand. The smell of sea salt was in the air. A nice cyan colored beach umbrella shaded her. She was reading a book. Peace at last.

The waves had a rhythmic pace that went well with the sounds of seagulls cheering in the open sky. A bigger than normal wave headed towards her—washing up what looked to be a slimy log covered in seaweed. it flopped around—coughing.

"Woah!" The creature cried.

"Hello Mr. Fish!" Audrey said.

The strange looking fish was actually more of a baby shark. It flipped its way to turn to her.

"Oh, it's you again." It said, It's voice was nasally and high. "Doing the same old thing you always do."

"What do you mean?" Audrey put down her book. She moved closer to the shark, which was now flopping its way back into the ocean.

"You'll never change." Was it's final message as the sea claimed it's missing lamb back.

"WAIT COME BACK!" She cried.

RING RING RING

With a jerk, her eyes sprang wide open. Slowly, she shifted her head to the side to view her alarm clock. It read 6:00 a.m. she got up for her morning routine— although more sluggishly. First she wanted to write down her dreams, something she did every morning as to not forget; problem was she already forgot.

Once everything else was finished she met up with her little brother and mother in the kitchen. Her brother Gabriel, a rambunctious and obnoxious 6th grader, was eating cereal at the table.

"Good Morning honey, you look tired, did you sleep well last night?" Audrey's mom asked, as she poured steaming coffee into her mug.

"Morning mama, I couldn't sleep is all," Audrey said, barely understandable through her yawn.

"I'm sorry honey, eat some food so we can go and get your day over with."

After breakfast Audrey arrived at her school, Aevelly High, a rather small school. She made her way through peers, all crowding around two girls walking ahead. The Two most popular girls at school, Natalie Mendoza and Emma Quemquem.

Celebrities compared to her. Audrey was never really a stand out girl and never garnered any attention—that was how she liked it. If people were to even look at her she'd have a full on panic attack. She walked with her head down, just trying to make it to her usual morning hangout spot; grateful Natalie and Emma made it easier for her this morning. She passed the gym and headed straight for the main building of the school. She put in her earphones to block out all the ambient high school noise. Her right hand holding her bag strap tight; index finger scratching at peeled skin from her thumb.

"HEY AUDREY!" her friend called. Audrey looked over to see her best friends Looz Nava and Sam Palacios.

"How you doing, baby girl?" Looz asked.