Chapter 13-5

The crowd reflected the energy of the music: Fast-paced and energetic. Danielle was enthusiastic to dance, holding both of the introvert's hands, leading them to the outskirts of the dancefloor. Just enough space to feel comfortable—barely nearing the edge of the tarp. They danced in a ring astound the rosey fashion, Adrian slagging behind just a little.

Something about his mood seemed off; as if he was uncomfortable. She hoped he wasn't. Thoughts of what to do weighed heavy on her mind. What should she do? Did he want to dance with Danielle alone? How could she find a way to get him to focus on her? One thought reigned supreme above all others as cold hard fact: If Looz were here it would all be so much easier.

Audrey's face and vibe must've started to match Adrian's because Danielle seemed to notice the lack of enthusiasm. "You guys okay?" she asked. Her eyes darted between the two. Audrey spoke first because Adrian seemed still to be stuck in his trance.

"Yeah I'm fine, I think I'm just going to sit out for a bit," She said. "I just need to catch my breath." Danielle nodded and grabbed Adrian for a dance. He seemed to blush at the gesture. Audrey knew it was nothing but the sight still made her heart twitch.

Audrey moved over to the small brick wall on the side of the tent, where she sat and watched her dream man dance with another girl. Why was it harder than it needed to be? Everything was so crystal clear in her fantasy, so why was it all backward. The longer she watched them, the more she stared off into nothing. Nothing but emptiness surrounded by thoughts.

"Hey," a familiar voice called. It was Chris. He stood before her with both hands in his pockets. He stood casually and then reached out for her hand. "Wanna dance?"

No. that's what she wanted to say but found her mouth saying something completely different.
"Yes." Her hand even betrayed her, reaching out to his, gently grabbing it as he pulled her up. They were one body apart but it still felt like She was invading his space.

He danced to the music in a manner she had never seemed before. It didn't seem to make sense, with no rhyme or reason, just moving his body to the rhythm of the song. He had a wide smile and urged her to join. His smile is kinda cute, she thought.

She moved her body to match his to the best of her abilities. For a moment she could swear she saw herself from the third person. Robotic as hell. She would have stopped long ago if it weren't for his encouragement and enthusiasm for her dancing.

"You're doing really well," he said. Something about him not taking his eyes off of her made her feel special but at the same time made her skin crawl. A bipolar feeling that she wished would just pick a side. As if on queue—to tip the scales—the music changed to a slower tempo.

"Let's see how you do in a slow dance," he said. His voice almost seemed flirtatious, at least what Audrey imagined being flirty. Maybe he was just being friendly. The two got close. Audrey could feel her heat reflecting off of him. She felt like she was sweating. She couldn't say anything. Now he didn't have to see her trembling; he could Feel it! She gripped his shoulders as they slowly danced. His hands were placed on her hips. The more they danced the more his right hand slipped lower. Suddenly she felt faint. She never expected to be this close to a boy.

"Mind if I cut in?" Danielle said. "It's my turn to dance with my date." She grabbed Audrey's hand which now felt calm. He didn't hesitate. "By all means," he said. He gave a subtle wink to Audrey that made her blush.

Danielle took control of the dance. Audrey's nerves took a bit to calm down. Danielle seemed to notice, not that it was impossible to tell. "What's wrong? Did he make you uncomfortable?" she asked. Her tone was defensive. The way she said it reminded her of Looz. Audrey half laughed. "No," she paused. "I just wasn't used to it."

After a bit of a calming dance, she realized Adrian wasn't there. She scouted the crowd, once, twice, three times. She couldn't see him. Did she overlook him somehow? "Audrey? You okay?" Audrey Ceased her Scouting and looked at Danielle. She tried to phrase her worry in a way that wouldn't convey her true feelings.

"Yeah, I just now realized Adrian is gone." She didn't look at Danielle when she gave her response, worried her eyes would sell her out.

"He said he had to use the restroom," Danielle said. Okay. Not bad. He'll be back any moment. A moment stretched into a long time. A little less than half 30 minutes. Eventually, the two girls sat on the side and waited for him.

Audrey stared off at her peers, all dancing and having fun. Emma danced with Brandon—someone twice her size. It was a funny sight to see. Natalie and Jacob danced intimately nearby them, her head on his chest. Sam and Sebastian were close to them but a healthy distance away. Audrey sighed, wishing that it be her and Adrian like that.

"Guy must've had to go badly," Danielle said, trying to lighten the mood. Audrey just nodded, vocalizing a hum in agreement. Another boy came up to the girls, someone Danielle knew by the name of Justin.

"Care to dance Dani?" He asked. Danielle didn't say anything. Just looked at Audrey, looking for an ok. "It's fine Dani, I'll wait here for Adrian,"

Danielle smiled at her and patted her shoulder. The Two left, leaving Audrey to her solace. She continued to scan the crowd, looking for her Prince Charming but nothing yet.

Her elbows rested on her knees as she propped her head up—blowing out air in frustration. She wanted to just space out and forget the night but just before she did, one more glance at the crowd called to her.

Authors Note
Short chapter this time! Had to cut it off at a weird spot just because the rest of the chapter would have been too long for one part. Chapter 13 will conclude next Friday! The story is coming to a conclusion!
What are your favorite parts from the story so far? What do you like? What don't you like?

Songs
Name: Artist
Someone To You: The Banners
Fancy Footwork: Chromeo

Editors
Elem
naomi14
Eric_Authority

Next chapter
Audrey finds Adrian and confronts him on what's in his mind.